Claims for Increased Public Services

If you represent a state or local government agency that has had to provide increased or additional public services during or after oil removal activities, including protection from fire, safety, or health hazards, you may submit a claim for lost government revenue. (Re-assigning on-duty personnel from pre-existing duties to oil-spill-related activities is not considered a cost of increased public services.)

{back to top}

Example of Claim for Increased Public Services

A manager of a coastal town that must provide emergency traffic control in the vicinity of an oil spill may submit a claim.


Claim Requirements

To be valid, a claim for increased public services must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be able to prove the damage was caused by an oil spill that falls under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990. (See the General OPA Claims Requirements page for more information.)
  • You must prove that the increased public service was necessitated by the spill and that the amount you are claiming is appropriate:
    • Show justification for the public services provided, including documentation of what specific services were provided and their relationship to the spill
    • Show when the services were provided (during or after the removal activities)
    • Show that the services were in addition to services normally provided; and
    • Show the net cost for the services and the methods used to compute those costs.
  • You must show that you have presented your claim to the responsible party of the spill, unless that party is not known or unless the NPFC has advertised for claims.
  • The claim must be for a sum certain (specific dollar amount).
  • You must submit the claim within three years of the date the damage was reasonably discoverable.
  • You must submit the claim in writing and sign it.

    {back to top}

Examples of Supporting Documentation

You must provide evidence that supports your claim, and you can use whatever documentation you believe best supports that claim. Listed below are examples of documentation often submitted with claims for increased public services:

  • Time sheets
  • Payroll records
  • Personnel schedules
  • Reports from the Federal On-Scene Coordinator (FOSC), fire department, police, or other responder
  • Witness statements
  • Newspaper reports describing the spill
  • Any other documentation you feel supports your claim

{back to top}

How to Submit Your Claim

  1. Develop a document or complete the Optional Claims form that describes your claim, including the dollar amount you are claiming, and sign the document in ink.
  2. Attach supporting documentation, such as those listed above.
  3. Mail your claims package to the NPFC.

WASHINGTON DC 20593-7605