Natural Resource Damage Claims


The NPFC's Natural Resource Damage (NRD) Claims Division adjudicates claims for natural resource damages arising out of oil spills (or the substantial

threat of a spill) to the navigable waters of the United States. Those damages may include:


  • The cost to restore, rehabilitate, replace or acquire the equivalent of the injured resource.
  • Any interim lost use or diminution in value of the injured resource pending restoration.
  • The reasonable cost of assessing those damages.

{back to top}

Who May Submit NRD Claims to NPFC?

Natural Resource Trustees designated by the President, State or Territorial Governor or Tribal governing authority may submit NRD claims to the NPFC. A responsible party may assert a claim against the Fund for removal costs and damages, which may include payments to a United States trustee, A State trustee, an Indian tribe trustee, or a foreign trustee for natural resource damages, if the responsible party demonstrates an entitlement to a defense to liability under Section 2703 or entitlement to a limitation of liability under Section 2704.

{back to top}

Preassessment Funding

Federal Lead Administrative Trustees (FLATs) may also access the OSLTF to initiate preassessment activities in accordance with an Interagency Agreement (IAA) between the FLAT and the NPFC.

For initiate preassessment requests, during or after business hours, please contact the NRD Claims Division.