Board for Correction of Military Records of the Coast Guard

Office of the General Counsel
U.S. Department of Homeland Security

DHS Office of the General Counsel
Board for Correction of Military Records
Mailstop # 485
245 Murray Lane
Washington, DC 20528

The Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR) of the Coast Guard is a board of civilians within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, which has authority under Title 10, Section 1552, of the United States Code (10 U.S.C. § 1552) to review and correct the personnel records of current and former members of the Coast Guard and Coast Guard Reserve. Such records include, but are not limited to, records regarding discharges, reenlistment codes, disciplinary matters, performance evaluations, selection for promotion, advancement, retirement, dates of service, disability ratings, medals, and various bonuses and benefits. You may read past BCMR decisions that have been redacted to protect the applicants' privacy at



If you are a current or former member of the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Reserve and you believe that information in your military record is erroneous or unjust, you may apply to the BCMR to correct your record. To do so, you must complete and submit an application form, DD 149, along with any documentary evidence you may have of the error or injustice in your record. To download a BCMR application, form DD 149, go to the following website but be sure to send your application to our new mailing address, as shown above: 


Before applying to the BCMR, you should exhaust any other administrative remedy the Coast Guard provides. For example, if you are on active duty or in the Reserve, the Personnel Records Review Board (PRRB) may be able to correct your record if the error in your record has been made within the past year. If you are a veteran seeking an upgrade of your discharge or reenlistment code and have been discharged within the past 15 years, you should apply to the Discharge Review Board (DRB) before applying to the BCMR. You may download a DRB application, form DD 293, at the following website:


You should complete every section of the application form. If you need more space, write "see attached" in the space on the form and attach your answer on a separate sheet of paper. Specify exactly what correction(s) you want the Board to make to your military record. Explain what error or injustice you believe the Coast Guard has committed. Provide the date that you discovered the alleged error or injustice. Applications should be submitted while you are still on active duty or within three years of the date of discovery of the alleged error or injustice. If more than three years have passed since the date of discovery, explain the reason for your delay. In addition, list whatever evidence you have gathered to prove your case. Attach any such evidence to your application when you submit it.


It is important to submit any evidence that helps prove your case. The BCMR will order your official Coast Guard record and, if applicable, your Coast Guard and DVA medical records, but you should submit copies of any records, correspondence, or other documents you may have that relate to your case. You should also consider seeking and submitting signed statements by people who witnessed or have knowledge of the facts of your case. The evidence should be submitted with your application.


The Board's regulations are published in Title 33, Part 52, of the Code of Federal Regulations (33 C.F.R. pt. 52). Upon receiving your completed application, the BCMR will send a copy of it to the Judge Advocate General of the Coast Guard, who will review the application and submit an advisory opinion to the BCMR. This advisory opinion is not the Board's final decision. The BCMR will send you a copy of the advisory opinion, and you will have 30 days to submit a written response. To reach a final decision, the Board will review all of your submissions, your military records, and the advisory opinion. The Board may grant your request in full or in part, or it may deny your request. Unless you request an extension, modify your request, or submit evidence late, the Board should reach a decision in your case within 10 months of the day it is docketed. If it does not, a remedy is provided under 14 U.S.C. § 425. Copies of the Board's final decision in each case are sent to the applicant and to the Coast Guard for implementation of any correction ordered by the Board.


Most BCMR applicants do not hire an attorney to represent them. However, depending upon the complexity of your case, you may wish to employ a private attorney or seek legal assistance through a veterans' organization to help you complete your application or respond to the advisory opinion of the Judge Advocate General. Such assistance may help you identify legal issues, assemble evidence, and present strong arguments.


You may contact the BCMR by calling (202) 447-4099; by faxing a letter to (202) 447-3111; by sending an email to; or by sending a letter to the BCMR at the mailing address shown above.