Point Allerton Lifesaving Station was opened on October 15th, 1889 at Hull,southeast of Boston and "west one mile of Point Allerton" with Captain Joshua James being appointed as its first keeper at age 62 were he served until his death "in line of duty" on March 19th, 1902. William C. Sparrow was then appointed on June 19th, 1902 and retired at age 64 on December 3rd, 1922. In 1915, the U.S. Lifesaving Service was replaced by the U.S. Coast Guard, which included the Lifesaving Station here in Hull. This was home for the Coast Guard until 1969 when the current Station was opened.
Present day Point Allerton was commissioned on April 18th, 1970 with CWO2 Donald J. Buotte as it's first Commanding Officer. Point Allerton today is home to over 35 active duty and 25 reservist. In 1999 it was decided to take Station Scituate located south of Point Allerton and downgrade it to a station small. In 2000 Station Point Allerton assumed responsibility for Station "small" Scituate. In 2002 the station was rehabbed providing better living conditions for the crew and a modern training room.