Station St. Clair Shores
Station St. Clair Shores history begins in the the mid 1800's when St. Clair Flats Lighthouse was built as a navigational beacon on Lake St. Clair. The Lighthouse Establishment was one of the agencies which eventually became the present day Coast Guard. In 1941, the Coast Guard opened Station St. Clair Flats, (on the northeast side of Lake St. Clair) as the first unit built on the shores of Lake St. Clair. In 1954 the City of St. Clair Shores petitions the Coast Guard for a rescue station. The city provides a small building located behind Blossom Heath park. The building is called a Search and Rescue Unit. It is manned by 4 people and is under the control of Station Belle Isle in Detroit. By 1990, Station St. Clair Flats was decommissioned and Station St. Clair Shores has served as the primary unit servicing Lake St. Clair.