Station Manistee was established by the U.S.L.S.S. in 1879 and has been serving the community with pride and professionalism ever since. However the station has under gone many transformations since fist established, today’s station is the third building to be built on the grounds of the original station. Today’s station was completed in 2003 and is 14,021 square feet which greatly enhances the efficiency and operational capability of the unit as well as improve habitability for the crew.
Station Manistee has a 47 foot Motor Life Boat (MLB) and a 25 foot Response Boat (RBS) attached and has a crew complement of 18 active duty and five reservists. The local community is one the best parts of being stationed in Manistee. The support of the community is welcome, especially when Station Manistee is challenged with covering over 270 miles of shoreline and 4,485 square miles of Lake Michigan. Since the primary duty of Station is search and rescue, Manistee continually rises to the call of duty, handling as many as 75 Search and Rescue cases in the summer months. We will continue to uphold the past century-plus tradition of the lifesavers from the Manistee area with the Coast Guards motto ’Semper Paratus’.
COAST GUARD SECTOR LAKE
2420 S. Lincoln Memorial Dr., Milwaukee, WI. 53207
Site constructed by: LTJG Christopher D. Meyer, Sector Lake Michigan