U. S. Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City was commissioned on August 15, 1940 with four officers, 52 enlisted men and ten aircraft. The old Holowell Plantation near Elizabeth City was selected by the Coast Guard in 1938 for its potential strategic value as a seaplane base. During World War II, the Air Station was under U. S. Navy control conducting Search and Rescue (SAR), anti-submarine and training missions. Since then the Air Station's missions and assigned aircraft have shifted and grown with changing national priorities and technologies. In 1966 Air Station Elizabeth City expanded after absorbing the Air Stations in Bermuda and Argentina. In addition to the Air Station, Elizabeth City's Coast Guard complex includes the Aircraft Repair and Supply Center (AR&SC), Aviation Technical Training Center (ATTC), Support Center, and Boat Station Elizabeth City.