Coast Guard Cutter Orcas a 110-foot cutter has been stationed in Coos
Bay, OR, since 1989 when it replaced the Cutter Pulaski. The Orcas is the twenty-seventh
Island-Class cutter to join the fleet, and the sixth Coast Guard cutter to be stationed in
Coos Bay since 1935. The cutter's name is derived from Orcas Island, the largest of the
San Juan Islands in Puget Sound, Washington. Built in 1989 by Bollinger Machine Shop and Shipyard in Lockport, Louisiana,
Orcas boasts state of the art machinery, weapons and electronics.
U. S. Coast Guard Aids To Navigation Team (ANT) Coos Bay was
established in 1976 and is located near the mouth of Coos Bay in the fishing and tourist
community of Charleston, Oregon. Our area of responsibility ranges over 240 miles of
the Oregon coast and includes 5 lighthouses, 18 primary buoys, 43 secondary buoys and 156
other lights, day beacons and fog signals.
Station Coos Bay is located in the town of Charleston, at the
mouth of Coos Bay, Oregon. The "International Port of Coos Bay" is
the seventh largest port on the West Coast. There has been a Coast
Guard Station in the area for over one hundred years. The bar, when
breaking, is narrow and dangerous, but is a short transit before
entering the sheltered area of the jetties. The port accommodates
large bulk carriers, while Charleston hosts an active commercial
fishing fleet. During the summer months, Station Coos Bay operates
& Rescue Detachment (SARDET) Coquille River, a seasonal
detachment located in Bandon, Oregon. SARDET Coquille River is
equipped with a 47' MLB.
Station Depoe Bay is located 16 miles north of Newport, Oregon in a
small fishing and tourist community. The station was established in 1940. The
harbor entrance is approximately 150 yards long and 50 feet wide, with two dog leg turns
cut between the rocks, and a minimum depth of 8 feet. The Highway 101 bridge
overhead restricts vertical clearance to only 42ft. In May '96, the Commanding
Officer of Motor Lifeboat Station Yaquina Bay assumed command and control of Station Depoe
Station Yaquina Bay is located in the fishing and tourist community
of Newport, Oregon. There has been a Coast Guard station in this area since 1895.
The current Station was established in 1950, with barracks and boathouse rebuilt in
1983/84 following a merchant vessel collision. The bar, when breaking, is narrow and
dangerous but is a short transit before entering the sheltered area of the jetties.
The port accommodates bulk carrier traffic, usually timber products, and is serviced by
the Coos Bay pilots association. In May '96, the Commanding Officer of Station Yaquina Bay assumed command and control of Station Depoe Bay.
Station Umpqua River
is Located on the North
Spit, that station began operation in 1891. It served the public well for over 48
years, and saw numerous changes and refinements in lifesaving equipment, lifeboat
technology and the creation of the United States Coast Guard in 1915 by Executive Order
combining the Revenue Cutter Service with the Lifesaving Service. In 1939 a new
station was built near the Umpqua River Lighthouse with a boathouse and pier in Winchester
Bay. The old station currently houses the Umpqua River Lighthouse museum operated by
Douglas County Parks. In 1964 the present station was constructed to modernize and
consolidate operations at one site.
Station Siuslaw River is located three miles northwest of Florence,
Oregon, and has been located in Florence since 1917. The engineering and equipment
building is the only remaining structure from the original station built in the 1930's.
The new station was built in the 1960's and remodeled in the late 1980's. The Siuslaw River entrance breaks nearly every day of the year due to silting and river
runoff. The entrance is quite narrow and can make for difficult bar crossings.
In May 96, the Commanding Officer of Station Umpqua River assumed command and
control of Station Siuslaw River.
Station Chetco River
is located approximately
seven miles north of the Oregon-California border. The station was originally
established in 1961, and is within sight (only 1/4 mile) of the bar and river mouth.
The port area maintains about 900 moorings for commercial and sport fishing vessels. Chetco River is oriented north/south with the mouth facing almost due south and protected
by Chetco Point from most westerly seas and storms. During the summer months Station Chetco River operates Search
& Rescue Detachment (SARDET) Rogue River, a seasonal
detachment located in Gold Beach, Oregon. SARDET Rogue River is equipped with a 47'