Dec. 1, 2020 —
R 091320 DEC 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-11//
SUBJ: COVID-19: GUIDANCE ON THE USE OF CLOTH FACE COVERINGS (FACE MASKS) – UPDATE 2
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 061552 APR 20/ALCOAST 124/20
B. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 171929 APR 20/ALCOAST 144/20
1. This message provides additional guidance for the use of cloth face
coverings (Face Masks) to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 when at least
6 feet of distancing cannot be maintained as directed in REFs (A) and (B).
2. Terminology: To better align with CDC updated terminology, the term “Cloth
Face Covering” is replaced with the term “Face Mask.” Future uses of the term
Face Mask includes items described in REFs (A) and (B).
3. Biological Source Control Considerations: Units must recognize the
vulnerabilities of personally supplied face masks that contain exhalation
valve(s) or consist of a single layer of fabric. Face masks protect others by
containing aerosol droplets produced when you breathe, talk, etc. Valve
equipped face masks fail to provide this source control. Exhalation valves
allow droplets possibly containing the COVID-19 virus to escape into the air
and may expose others.
4. Policy: Guidance in REFs (A) and (B) remains in effect.
a. Use of face masks with exhalation valves or vents is prohibited.
b. Single layer gaiters are prohibited. This policy does not prohibit
organizational clothing or uniform items that meet CDC multi-layer guidance.
CDC guidance on gaiter wear: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-
5. COMDT (CG-113) POC: Mr. Glenn Gebele (202) 475-5195
6. RADM Dana L. Thomas, Director, Health, Safety, and Work-Life, sends.
7. Internet release is authorized.