Dec. 9, 2020 —
R 091320 DEC 20
COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-11//
TO ALCOAST UNCLAS //N05100//
SUBJ: COVID-19: GUIDANCE ON THE USE OF CLOTH FACE COVERINGS (FACE MASKS) – UPDATE 2
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 061552 APR 20/ALCOAST 124/20
B. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 171929 APR 20/ALCOAST 144/20
1. This message provides additional guidance for the use of cloth face coverings (Face Masks) to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 when at least 6 feet of distancing cannot be maintained as directed in REFs (A) and (B).
2. Terminology: To better align with CDC updated terminology, the term “Cloth Face Covering” is replaced with the term “Face Mask.” Future uses of the term Face Mask includes items described in REFs (A) and (B).
3. Biological Source Control Considerations: Units must recognize the vulnerabilities of personally supplied face masks that contain exhalation valve(s) or consist of a single layer of fabric. Face masks protect others by containing aerosol droplets produced when you breathe, talk, etc. Valve equipped face masks fail to provide this source control. Exhalation valves allow droplets possibly containing the COVID-19 virus to escape into the air and may expose others.
4. Policy: Guidance in REFs (A) and (B) remains in effect.
a. Use of face masks with exhalation valves or vents is prohibited.
b. Single layer gaiters are prohibited. This policy does not prohibit organizational clothing or uniform items that meet CDC multi-layer guidance. CDC guidance on gaiter wear: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019- ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html.
5. COMDT (CG-113) POC: Mr. Glenn Gebele (202) 475-5195
6. RADM Dana L. Thomas, Director, Health, Safety, and Work-Life, sends.
7. Internet release is authorized.