Oct. 19, 2020 —
R 250932 SEP 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-R//
SUBJ: COVID-19: MOBILIZING RESERVISTS DURING NOVEL CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC - UPDATE 1
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 071735 APR 20/ALCOAST 128/20
B. 10 U.S.C. 12302
1. Initial policy governing Reserve mobilization orders in response to the
threats posed by the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) was provided in REF (A)
limiting order duration to not more than 180 days per member.
2. Reserve mobilization policy is hereby updated to allow for the issuance
of orders under the authority of REF (B) for up to 365 days. Existing orders
may be amended to bring the total duration up to 365 days. Due to limited
funding, all requests for extensions beyond 180 days must be approved through
the appropriate authority (PAC/LANT/DOL). This change will better meet the
needs of operational and mission support field commanders as well as the
needs of individual reservists.
3. Supplemental funding for COVID-19 response needs has been provided but
is very limited. Commands must consider whether COVID-19 response requirements
can be met organically or with short-term active duty fills through the regular
surge staffing process prior to submitting requests for Reserve activations.
Requests for Reserve support must reflect the actual expected duration of
orders and not default to 12 months per request in order to ensure sufficient
funding is available to meet all validated requirements.
4. Supplemental funding in support of COVID-19 response orders is set to
expire on 30 Sep 2021. As such, all orders in support of COVID-19, whether
amended or new start orders, must end prior to that date. Mobilization
requirements extending beyond that date must be coordinated with COMDT (CG-8)
to ensure sufficient funding is available.
5. All other provisions of REF (A) remain in effect.
6. RDML T. C. Wiemers, Assistant Commandant for Reserve, sends.
7. Internet release is authorized.