R 231216 SEP 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1//
SUBJ: COVID-19: TEMPORARY POLICY CHANGE TO MODIFY THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
FOR THE RESERVE GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL (RGCM) DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC
A. Coast Guard Medals and Awards Manual, COMDTINST M1650.2E
1. As a result of disruptions caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, Reserve member
opportunities and scheduling of drills have been impacted. This may result in Reserve
members being unable to obtain the required 70 retirement points for the RGCM as
required in REF (A).
2. This ALCOAST temporarily modifies REF (A) by reducing the requirement for a
qualifying year to 50 points vice 70 points in paragraph 5.A.2.a.(2). This change is
effective 1 MAR 2020 until a date to be determined. The requirement to apply the
standard in place at the beginning of the anniversary year does not apply to this
temporary reduction in points. All other provisions of REF (A) remain in effect.
3. Reserve members are reminded that during these challenging times other points may
be accumulated through Electronic Based Distributed Learning (EBDL), funeral honors duty,
remote drills, and various other methods. Members should consult their chain of command
for specific opportunities.
4. Questions regarding the RCGM should be directed to CG PSC-PSD-ma at: ARL.Medals@uscg.mil.
5. RADM J. M. Nunan, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources, sends.
6. Internet release is authorized.