Sept. 18, 2020 —
All Body Composition Screenings will resume Oct. 1, after being suspended this spring due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Body Composition Program (“weigh-ins”) is currently in a pilot phase, which has abdominal circumference (AC) as an additional method of compliance, based on medical data indicating that it provides a more accurate health snapshot. The physical fitness test (PFT) also remains a method of compliance during the pilot program extension (01 Oct – 30 Nov). The goal is to improve the Coast Guard's approach to assessing members' health and readiness.
The October Semi-Annual Body Composition Screenings will run from Oct. 1 through Oct. 31.
Body tapings will follow a set of COVID-19 precautions:
- Commands will establish check-in and waiting areas that allow for social distancing. Alternative approaches may include scheduled appointments, small group scheduling, and multiple screening dates.
- COVID-19 exposure screening prior to entry. A pre-screening questionnaire has been sent to all admin shops.
- Both member and taper must be masked.
- Taper must wear gloves and change them for each new member being taped.
- Tape must be wiped down with sanitizer between tapings.
The Body Composition pilot program will now run through Nov. 30, 2020, at which point a final policy will be promulgated.
Questions? For Body Composition Program policy questions, contact: HQS-SMB-BodyCompPolicy@USCG.MIL
More information can be found at the Coast Guard Body Composition Program website:
For COVID-19 medical issues, contact your local medical staff.
For PPE questions, contact your HSWL SC (se) DD-Safety and Environmental Health Officers (SEHOs). They are trained on PPE matters and serve as your local subject matter expert. Your SEHOs are as follows:
- Field Operations Branch Chief: Cmdr. Pat Wallace, HSWL Service Center
- D1 Boston: Lt. Cmdr. Ryan Butler
- D5 Portsmouth, VA: Lt. Pat Brown
- D7 Miami: Lt. Cmdr. Carrie Foster
- D8 New Orleans: Lt. Cmdr. Erik Heithaus
- D8 St Louis, Ill.: Lt. Cmdr. Sarah Maynard
- D9 Cleveland: Lt. Cmdr. Tyler White
- D11 LA/LB: Lt. Cmdr. Steve Vanderlaske
- D13 Seattle: Lt. Cmdr. Ben Weber
- D14: Lt. Cmdr. Doug Erling
- D17: Lt. Alicen Jordan
- Contact CG SUPRT to get a free health coach: 855-CG-SUPRT (247-8778), www.cgsuprt.com
Orginally posted on MyCG