May 28, 2020 —
R 281023 MAY 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-5RI//
TO ALCOAST UNCLAS //N16130//
SUBJ: COVID-19: TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF MARITIME SAR PLANNING COURSE CURRENCY REQUIREMENT FOR SAR WATCHSTANDERS
A. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 250935 MAR 20/ALCOAST 105/20
B. U.S. Coast Guard Addendum to the National Search and Rescue Supplement (NSS) to the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual (IAMSAR), COMDTINST M16130.2 (series)
1. This ALCOAST updates REF (A) during the COVID-19 pandemic. REF (A) is now cancelled.
2. Due to reduced availability of the Maritime SAR Planning course (MSP), COMDT (CG-SAR) is temporarily suspending currency requirements as outlined within 22.214.171.124.(c) of REF (B) for the following members:
a. Currently Certified SAR watchstanders not expecting to PCS in AY20.
b. Currently Certified SAR watchstanders expected to PCS to another Command Center.
3. Currency requirements as outlined within 126.96.36.199.(c)(1)-(2) of REF (B) remain in effect for those individuals who have not maintained a continuous SAR certification within a Command Center billet.
4. The Maritime SAR Planning course will continue to assign quotas as outlined within 188.8.131.52 of REF (B). Units with command concerns should use the SAR administrative chain of command to forward feedback to LANT-35 and PAC-33. In addition, command concerns should also be addressed within the comments section of the Electronic Training Requests (ETR). ETRs submitted will be prioritized and assigned a quota by COMDT (CG-SAR) and National SAR School. Prior to orders being cut, COMDT (CG-SAR) will engage with LANT-35 and PAC-33 reps in order to ensure units with the greatest need are addressed first. Overall, students in the below categories will be prioritized.
a. Students who have not maintained continuous service within a Command Center and require currency training.
b. Students requiring training for initial qualification.
c. Students requiring training to fulfill prerequisites for the SAR Mission Coordinator course.
5. Area and District SAR Coordinator staff shall track the number of SAR watchstanders whose certifications will remain current given the suspension of C-school training currency requirements. These members will be given priority as SAR C-schools become readily available in the future.
6. Electronic training requests that have been submitted to meet currency requirements shall be removed by unit Training Officers.
7. POC: CDR Aurora Fleming, COMDT (CG-SAR) at Aurora.I.Fleming@uscg.mil.
8. Always Ready, That Others May Live.
9. Ms. Dana S. Tulis, Director, Emergency Management, sends.
10. Internet release is authorized.