March 25, 2020 —
R 250935 MAR 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-5RI//
SUBJ: TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF SAR C-SCHOOL CURRENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR SAR WATCHSTANDERS
A. U.S. Coast Guard Addendum to the National Search and Rescue Supplement (NSS) to the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue Manual (IAMSAR), COMDTINST M16130.2 (series)
1. In order to mitigate possible impacts to operational readiness due to reduced availability of SAR related C-schools, COMDT (CG-SAR) is temporarily suspending the five and eight year currency requirements as outlined within 22.214.171.124 of REF (A). Members currently certified as SAR watchstanders may remain certified past the five and eight year currency requirements.
2. Area and District SAR Coordinators staff shall track the number of SAR watchstanders whose certifications will remain current given the suspension of C-school training currency requirements. These members will be given priority as SAR C-schools become readily available in the future.
3. Electronic training requests that have been submitted to meet currency requirements shall be removed by unit Training Officers. For the foreseeable future, SAR C-school quotas will be prioritized to those members who require training for initial certification.
4. POC: CDR Aurora Fleming, COMDT (CG-SAR) at Aurora.I.Fleming@uscg.mil.
5. Always Ready, That Others May Live.
6. Ms. Dana S. Tulis, Director, Emergency Management, sends.
7. Internet release is authorized.