May 28, 2020 —
R 281600 MAY 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1//
SUBJ: COVID-19: TEMPORARY CHANGE TO JOINT TRAVEL REGULATIONS – PERSONALLY PROCURED MOVE (PPM)
A. Joint Travel Regulations, par. 051502
B. Per Diem, Travel & Transportation Allowance Committee Memo dtd: 26MAY2020
1. This ALCOAST announces a temporary change to the Joint Travel Regulations, REF (A), affecting Personally Procured Moves (PPM) (formerly known as DITY moves). The temporary changes described in this message went into effect on 26 May 2020 and expire on 31 December 2020.
2. REF (B) temporarily authorizes a monetary allowance that is equal to 100% of the Government’s “Best Value” for PPM. Prior to this temporary change, members could only be reimbursed 95% of what it would have cost the government (“Best Value”) to ship a member’s household goods (HHG). All other PPM provisions in REF (A) remain unchanged.
3. The decision to use a PPM during a PCS transfer is a personal and complex choice, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic. Members must weigh many factors including, but not limited to:
a. Availability of private moving contractors and/or moving resources.
b. Health protection measures available through commercial providers.
c. Costs associated with contract requirements and protections normally provided in a government procured move, including insurance.
d. Tax implications of PPM reimbursements.
4. As the Department of Defense moves toward lifting COVID-19 stop movement orders, a very increased demand for government procured HHG movements is anticipated. The temporary change to the JTR is intended to relieve stress on the HHG system, and enable members to execute PCS moves in an efficient manner that is most advantageous to families and the Coast Guard.
5. Members should contact their local Personnel and Administration Office (P&A)/ Personal Property Shipping Office (PPSO) for additional information regarding this temporary change.
6. For general policy questions, contact COMDT (CG-1332) at: HQS-DG-lst-CG-1332-Travel@uscg.mil.
7. RADM J. M. Nunan, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources, sends.
8. Internet release is authorized.