May 21, 2020 —
R 211536 MAY 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1//
SUBJ: COVID-19: SPECIAL LEAVE ACCRUAL (SLA) FOR NATIONAL EMERGENCY DURING FY2020
A. Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Memo dtd: 16 APR 2020
B. SEC 701 OF TITLE 10, U.S. CODE
C. Military Assignments and Authorized Absences, COMDTINST M1000.8 (series)
1. This ALCOAST announces updated Special Leave Accrual (SLA) policy for all active and qualified reserve military personnel in accordance with REFs (A), (B), and (C) due to Coast Guard response to the National Emergency resulting from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
2. The following chart illustrates the maximum leave balance carryover for FY20–FY23:
End date of FY: Total Carryover Limit
30SEP20 90 days
30SEP21 80 days
30SEP22 70 days
30SEP23 60 days
3. To balance Service and member needs, the CG is not granting the maximum amount of SLA carry over authorized in REF (A). This is necessary because the length and manner of CG deployments are different from DoD, commands are continuing to encourage members to take their earned leave during the pandemic, and the service must minimize future administrative challenges for units.
4. Members should manage their accrued leave balances to avoid loss of leave. Commands are encouraged to work with members to plan leave which balances member and family needs with mission readiness.
5. Policies and standards in REF (C), not specifically addressed in this ALCOAST, remain unchanged.
6. For general policy questions contact COMDT (CG-1331) at: HQS-Policyandstandards@uscg.mil.
7. RADM J. M. Nunan, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources, sends.
8. Internet release is authorized.