Frequently Asked Questions

USCG Specific Frequently Asked Questions

For additional coronavirus questions not covered in these FAQ or that your chain of command cannot answer, please e-mail To ensure the most timely response, please identify yourself (i.e. military member, civilian, Auxiliarist, contractor, family member) in your e-mail inquiry. 

Sign Up for Email Updates

Click to subscribe and receive weekly email updates.

Search Messages and FAQs

Workers Comp FAQs



E2 (formerly J6) Q: I’m a civilian, and believe I have contracted COVID-19 as a result of a work-related exposure. What steps should I take? 

A: Federal civilian employees who believe they contracted COVID-19 as the result of a work-related exposure should report it to their supervisor as soon as possible. The supervisor should notify the employee to electronically file a CA-1 for traumatic injury via the U.S. Department of Labor's ECOMP system.  Supervisors are responsible for reporting the incident to the DHS Injury Reporting Hotline (1-844-347-7787) as soon as possible but no later than 24 hours from the time of notification.  Federal civilian employees exclude military, NAF, and contractors. NAF. Contractors should inquire with their employer.

Following a claim being filed or the DHS Injury Reporting Hotline being notified, CG-123, Retirement and Benefits Service Center (RBSC) and an Occupational Health Nurse will contact you to provide additional guidance and assistance throughout the claim filing process.  Questions may be addressed by the RBSC by emailing

Additional information is available at: