COVID-19 | Nov. 23, 2020

Travel FAQs


B1 Q: Can I travel outside the United States? *Updated 11/23/2020*

A: The CDC is issuing Travel Health Notices (THNs) for foreign locations affected by COVID-19. CG official travel to foreign locations for which the CDC has issued a Level 3 or Level 2 THN is restricted to only mission essential, time-sensitive work that cannot be handled via distance or remote means. Talk to your supervisor if you have any questions, or refer to ALCOAST 396/20. Foreign travel includes any visits, layovers, connections or port calls occurring outside the 50 US states and its territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S.V.I, etc.).

Personal foreign travel for military personnel on active duty is prohibited, including prior approved leave. Exceptions can only be granted by the first Flag or SES in your chain of command.

Personal travel to foreign countries or territories for civilians is highly discouraged. Consult the CDC travel advisory website above.


B2 Q: Can I travel within the United States? *Updated 06/19/2020*

A: Official travel within the United States is authorized. Local commands must balance risk to mission and risk to the member when authorizing official travel. The unit CO/OIC or first O-6/GS-15 in the chain of command will make this determination.

Personal travel: Military personnel on active duty are authorized local travel while on leave or liberty. The definition of local area is determined by the CO/OINC or the first O-6/GS-15 in the chain of command. Waivers to travel outside of local areas while on leave or liberty must be granted by the CO/OIC or the first O-6/GS-15 in the chain of command. Civilian employees should follow CDC travel guidance.


B3 Q: I’m currently stationed in a foreign country. What should I do? *Updated 6/19/2020*

A: Follow the guidance of the cognizant Department of Defense/Combatant Command or Department of State Chief of Mission, as applicable. See the Department of Defense’s Foreign Clearance Guide.


B7 Q: I am returning to the U.S. from a foreign country, what do I need to do? *Updated 06/19/2020*

A: All personnel returning from foreign travel to a country with an active CDC travel advisory should quarantine at home for 14 days. All personnel should contact their supervisor to discuss telework or leave options during quarantine. Refer to the COVID-19 PLANORD (series) Enclosure Commander’s Quarantine and Isolation Guide (Q&I Guide).

Civilian Personnel: Civilian employees returning from personal travel from or through a location under a Level 2 or 3 THN will be expected to telework or take personal leave for a period of 14 days before returning to a CG worksite.

Contractors: Contact your Contracting Officer Representative if you have traveled to a foreign country or territory affected by a Level 2 or Level 3 THN.


B8 Q: What should I do if my spouse or someone in my household has to travel? *Updated 06/19/2020*

A:  Being in close contact with someone who has traveled does not trigger quarantine requirements unless the traveler has been tested or diagnosed with COVID-19. CG personnel should contact their supervisor to discuss telework or leave options if they have been in close contact with a person who has COVID-19.