April 2, 2020 —
R 020724 APR 20
FM COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC//CG-1//
SUBJ: TEMPORARY RELAXATION OF HAIR GROOMING STANDARDS DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
A. Uniform Regulations, COMDTINST M1020.6 (series)
B. COMDT COGARD WASHINGTON DC 251009 NOV/ACN 139/19
1. This ALCOAST announces a temporary relaxation of hair grooming standards and hair length in response to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The temporary policy will remain in effect until rescinded.
2. To maintain force health protection, minimize the risk of transmission among personnel, and adhere to guidelines published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html/, Commanding Officers and Officers-in-Charge are authorized to temporarily relax hair grooming standards and hair length in REFs (A) and (B).
a. Relaxed hair grooming and hair length standards will apply only to the area of the scalp. Policy guidance in REFs (A) and (B) regarding sideburns, hairstyles and shaving requirements remain in effect.
b. Commanders and supervisors may allow for additional hair length and bulk on the sides, top, and back of the head but must ensure a professional military appearance is maintained.
c. At no time, should relaxed grooming standards interfere with the proper wearing of Coast Guard headgear and/or proper use of protective personal equipment.
3. Good judgement by leaders at all levels of the chain of command should apply to preserve force health protection during the COVID-19 pandemic response.
4. Policies and standards in REF (A), not specifically addressed in this ALCOAST, remain unchanged.
5. General policy questions should be addressed to COMDT (CG-1331) at: HQS-SMB-PolicyandStandards@uscg.mil.
6. Technical or procedural Uniform Manual questions should be addressed to CWO Alex J. Acevedo at: Alex.J.Acevedo@uscg.mil or (202) 795-6659.
7. RADM J. M. Nunan, Assistant Commandant for Human Resources (CG-1), sends.
8. Internet release is authorized.