Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)


What you need to know

Child care options for Coast Guard employees

The Coast Guard provides several options to support families needing care for children ages 6 weeks to 12 years (6th grade).

  • Option 1: Enroll your child at a DoD child care center, school-age center, in-home child care, or Coast Guard child development center (CDC).
    Apply for child care at DoD-operated centers through MilitaryChildCare.com. (Priority for care is based on the DoD’s new eligibility requirements.)
    To find a Coast Guard child care center, visit the Child Development Centers contact list.
  • Option 2: Apply to the Coast Guard Child Care Fee Assistance (CCFA) program to offset the cost of a private childcare provider.
    Your provider must have a state license and be in good standing. You can search for a licensed provider through Childcare Aware.
    The fee assistance is paid to the provider after the sponsor pays the total monthly child care fee, and is not paid in advance. Visit the CCFA website to learn more or enroll. 

  • Free Boys & Girls Club memberships are available to children of Coast Guard Selected Reserve and Active Duty families can get a free Boys & Girls Club membership. Sponsors can go to any BGCA Club, mention that they are military, fill out a membership form, and then their children can start using the local BGCA facilities. The Coast Guard Morale, Wellness and Recreation program will pay the membership fees. (Families at Kodiak, Petaluma, Cape Cod, and Borinquen, we encourage you to first try your Coast Guard Youth Center!)
  • CG Mutual Assistance offers financial assistance for child care costs due to PCS and/or the COVID-19 pandemic.  Please go to https://cgmahq.org/ to obtain more information.
  • National Military Family Association grants are available for up to $1,500. The initial application window has closed. To be eligible, you must be active duty, activated reserves, or National Guard on active Title 10 or Title 32 orders for six months or longer, and in pay grades E1 – E6. For more information on eligibility and application windows, please visit https://www.militaryfamily.org/.

Child Care FAQs



Q: Can au pairs, nannies, babysitters, tutors, and teachers qualify as providers? How about one of my relatives? *Updated 11/23/2020*

A: The provider would need to become a registered, state-licensed provider. Then they could submit a provider packet for review and consideration to ProviderSupport.fct@navy.mil. We do not offer assistance for child care with the sponsor’s home.


Q:  Can I get child care help during a PCS Move? *Updated 11/23/2020*

A:  Coast Guard Mutual Assistance offers assistance for child care during a PCS move. However, the Coast Guard Child Development Services program does not offer a child care program or assistance for PCS moves only.


Q: Can I get help with tutoring? *Updated 11/23/2020*

A: Tutor.com is free for Coast Guard members and civilians. About 3,000 expert online tutors are available 24/7, with no appointment needed. They can provide tutoring, homework help, test preparation and instruction to students (and parents) in grades K-12. The service also has several other tools, such as drop-off reviews for writing and math, video lessons, practice quizzes, and SAT/ACT prep. Students may also pre-schedule sessions with their favorite tutors. For more information or to enroll go to https://no-click.mil/?https://military.tutor.com/home.


Q: Where can I get help figuring out child care? *Updated 11/23/2020*

A: CG Support is standing by 24/7/365 at 855-247-8778 or www.cgsuprt.com to provide information as well as vetted national and regional referrals based on your specific needs.

If need assistance finding child care solutions in your local area, please contact your local Family Resource Specialist.