Active Duty Member
Waivers to TA Policy & Procedures
- The Tuition Assistance (TA) waiver process is available to all members who are authorized to use the TA program. The waiver process can be used to request the tuition be waived for a course where a student received a non-passing grade (Failure (F), Withdrawal after drop date (W) or Incomplete (I) courses). Note: members shall request a waiver through the school before submitting a waiver to the CG Institute. If the school denies the request, the member may proceed with a waiver through the CG Institute. Do not submit a waiver to the Navy.
Late withdrawal from a course
- You must withdraw from a course after the Institution has received monies for the course.
- Examples of valid reasons for granting a waiver:
- permanent change of of station (PCS) orders
- temporary duty (TAD) orders
- documented emergency leave
- change in military duties
- An amplifying endorsement from your Commanding Officer/OIC or delegated authority MUST be included.
Late submission of TA application
- In accordance with ALCOAST 367/07, effective immediately, waiver requests for TA for classes in a past fiscal year will only be considered if submitted within 90 days past the subsequent fiscal year.
Separated prior to completion of service requirement
- Individuals non-selected for promotion and scheduled for retirement and/or separation (i.e., are being mandatorily separated due to non-selection for promotion or continuation) who had TA requests approved prior to the announcement of the board results that resulted in mandatory separation. However, If the course has not started upon announcement of the board, the TA authorization must be cancelled.
- Discharged for reason of Convenience of the Government in connection with a reduction in force.
- Note: If member is discharged under provisions contained in ALCGOFF 045/10 or ALCGENL 046/10, the member will be required to repay Tuition Assistance (TA) at a prorated amount. Example: Member receives $750 in TA funds. The course is 3 months and the member is departing 1 month prior to the end of course date. $750/3 = $250. The member will be required to repay $250.
- Separated by reason of physical disability, illness, injury, or other impairment incurred in the line of duty and not due to misconduct; or receive a hardship discharge.
How to request a waiver
- Download the Tuition Assistance Waiver form (CG 4147-1) and save it to your computer.
- Once the form is complete, email it to your ESO for review and approval. All applications, corrections, cancellations must go through your ESO.
- Your ESO reviews and approves the application which is then sent to CG Institute.
- Once reviewed, CG Institute will notify you of the result.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 6/12/2015