Authorized TA Expenses and Caps
Active Duty Member
TA Annual Cap
- TA has an annual maximum or "cap" of $4,000.
- The annual cap falls within each fiscal year (1 October to 30 September).
- Once the member uses the maximum allotted amount per year, no waivers will be granted for additional money.
- The established TA cap does not mean the Coast Guard guarantees to pay the full amount. Budget constraints may require further TA policy changes.
- TA is available for undergraduate & graduate courses up to Master's Degrees. The caps are:
- $250 per semester hour, $166.66 per quarter hour, or $16.67 per clock hour.
High School Completion Programs
- Tuition for approved high school completion programs will be fully funded for personnel who have not been awarded a high school or equivalency diploma.
- Developmental courses may be authorized if required by the Institution prior to taking a higher-level course.
- Many colleges require a developmental course in Math, English and reading if the member has been out of school for several years.
- Usually these courses (usually numbered starting with zero "0" as the first digit) are "not transferable".
- Fees are no longer funded with Tuition Assistance.