Reserve Personnel Management Division

Reserve Personnel Services Branch

Reserve Incapacitation Pay

A reservist who is physically disabled as a result of a line of duty injury, illness or disease, is entitled to pay and allowances in accordance with 37 USC 204. The amount of pay and allowances authorized is determined in accordance with the Coast Guard Pay Manual, and is dependent upon the member's military duty status of Not Fit for Duty (NFFD) or Available for Limited Duty (AFLD), and the documented amount of lost civilian earned income for the incapacitation pay claim period.

A reservist with an approved Notice of Eligibility (NOE) for authorized medical care may file for incapacitation pay as described below. Members who are unemployed at the time they incur or aggravate a line of duty injury, illness or disease are not eligible for incapacitation pay because they would not have a documented loss of civilian earned income.

Civilian earned income is defined as follows: Income from non-military employment, including self-employment. This includes normal wages, salaries, professional fees, tips, or other compensation for personal services actually rendered, as well as income from taxable unemployment benefits, income protection plans, vacation pay, and sick leave that the member elects to receive. It does not include rents, royalties, retirement pay, dividends or interest, welfare payments, or other nontaxable Government benefits.

Claims for incapacitation pay shall be processed as outlined below:

  • Claims shall be submitted using standard CG memo format as outlined in the downloadable template.
  • Claims shall be submitted to PSC-rpm via the member's chain of command and the District (Dxr)/DG-13 staff (or equivalent)
  • Claims must include the following documents:
    • A copy of the member's approved NOE Memo with signed CG-3307 (RIB-1) - see ALCGPSC 065/12
    • A current completed Physician's Report form
    • A letter from the member's civilian employer as outlined below
  • Letters from civilian employers must include the following:
    • Employer's mailing address
    • Supervisor's name and phone number
    • If member is NFFD: certification that member has not returned to work and the reason for the member's absence; documentation of normal wages, salaries, professional fees, tips, vacation pays, sick leave, disability insurance of any other compensation that the member received during the incapacitation pay claim period.
    • If member is AFLD: certification that the member has returned to work and the reason that the member's income has been reduced due to the injury or illness; documentation of the amount of income that has been reduced due to the injury or illness during the period of the  incapacitation pay claim period.
    • In the case of a student who is receiving financial aid, certification must include documentation from the educational institution that the member has not returned to school along with documentation of the financial aid received.
  • PSC-rpm will validate incapacitation pay claims and forward valid claims to PPC (SES) for processing.
  • Incapacitation pay certifications shall be provided for periods not to exceed one month.
  • Incapacitation pay may not be provided for a period greater than six months unless approved by CG-131.
  • PSC-rpm will review and endorse any request for incapacitation pay greater than six months and forward it to CG-131 for approval.
Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) Click Here to Download MS Word viewer MS Word
Last Modified 9/19/2013