This is a script that shows a pop-up when a non Coast Guard link is clicked on.
Skip Navigation


Security Levels

U.S. Coast Guard Personnel Service Center
Records Branch (MR) Web site


Obtaining a copy of your DD-214?

How do I retrieve a copy of my DD-214 or other service records?

  1. If you are a current active duty or reserve member, contact your Servicing Personnel Office for assistance.
  2. Please be aware that the DD-214 is a certificate of release or discharge from active duty. It is not issued upon completion of a member's contractual reserve obligation. Only continuous active duty of 90 days or greater are authorized a DD-214.

  3. If you separated or retired from the Coast Guard prior to 01 October 2006, make requests to obtain copies of DD-214's, Personnel Records, Medical & Dental Records, and Service Medals, etc. to the National Personnel Records Center. Requests may be made online by the veteran or next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. If you are not the veteran or next of kin, complete Standard Form 180 (SF 180) and send the completed form to:

    National Personnel Records Center
    1 Archives Drive
    St. Louis, MO 63138 Commercial: (314) 801-0800

  4. If you separated or retired from the Coast Guard on or after 01 October 2006, contact the Military Records Section at CG Personnel Service Center by:

    E-mail: ARL-PF-CGPSC-MR_CustomerService@USCG.MIL (email is best)

    Telephone by the veteran or the next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military: 202-795-6375; or

    Mail: Commander, Personnel Service Center PSC (BOPS-C-MR), United States Coast Guard Stop 7200 2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE Washington, DC 20593-7200

    The Standard Form 180 (SF 180) is required for all document copy requests. Send the completed form to the address above.

  5. If you separated from the service and plan on filing a claim for medical benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), you do not need to request a copy of your military records from the NPRC. The VA regional office handling your case will petition both NPRC and the VA Records Management Center for needed service and medical records to adjudicate your claim


Last Modified 1/15/2016