All Seaman Apprentices and Seaman can expect to become Gangway Petty Officers of the Watch (GPOW) qualified, as well as Helmsman, Lookout, and Basic and Advanced Damage Control qualified as well. Your break-in watch rotation will be 1 in 3 until qualified. Deck department non-rates spend their days on the maintenance and upkeep of the cutter, her small boats, and all rigging and ground tackle. There are plenty of opportunities to learn deck seamanship, law enforcement, and inport security watch standing.
For those reporting aboard as Fireman Apprentices and Fireman, you can expect to become qualified as an Auxiliary Watch stander (AUX Watch), as well as Basic and Advanced Damage Control qualified. Your break-in watch rotation will be 1 in 3 until qualified. Engineering non-rates work hard to keep the main propulsion plant and generators online along with other critical systems such as hydraulics, air conditioning and refrigeration.
Housing for all E-2 and E-3
If you are married you will be given governmental lease housing or provided BAH to live on the economy. All E2ís and E3ís reporting aboard that are single can expect to live on the cutter until they have become Basic Damage Control qualified and GPOW qualified. Once qualified, governmental lease housing will be granted through the chain of command.
All E4ís and above are given governmental leased housing when available or given the chance to opt out for BAH to live on the economy.
Welcome Aboard Message
SUBJ: WELCOME ABOARD!
1. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ASSIGNEMENT TO USCGC ALERT (WMEC 630), HOMEPORTED AT THE COLUMBIA RIVER MARITIME MUSEUM IN ASTORIA, OR. WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR ARRIVAL AND HOPE YOU WILL FIND YOUR TOUR CHALLENGING AND REWARDING.
2. xxxxxxxxxxxxx IS YOUR DESIGNATED SPONSOR. HE/SHE CAN BE REACHED BY EMAIL AT xxxxxxxxxxxxx (AT)USCG.MIL OR BY PHONE AT (503) 325-7213 OR (503) 325-7214. xxxxxxxxxxxxx IS YOUR BEST CONNECTION TO ALERT AND WHAT WILL BE EXPECTED OF YOU.
3. xxxxxxxxxxxxx IS YOUR ALTERNATE SPONSOR AND CAN BE REACHED BY EMAIL AT xxxxxxxxxxxxx (AT)USCG.MIL OR BY PHONE AT (503) 325-7213 OR (503) 325-7214.
4. THE SECTOR COLUMBIA PERSONNEL OFFICE ASSISTS ALERT WITH ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTING FUNCTIONS. OUR POINT OF CONTACT THERE IS YN3 CASSIDY FOX, CASSIDY.F.FOX(AT)USCG.MIL, (503) 861-6186.
5. COAST GUARD OWNED AND LEASED HOUSING IS AVAILABLE FOR ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL. YN1 HAYWORTH , PATRICK.D.HAYWORTH(AT)USCG.MIL, IS ALERTíS HOUSING OFFICER. YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO CONTACT HIM TO GET THE LATEST HOUSING INFORMATION FOR THE AREA AND POLICIES CURRENTLY IN EFFECT.
6. ARRIVAL INFORMATION: IF FLYING, YOU SHOULD MAKE AIRLINE RESERVATIONS TO ARRIVE AT PORTLAND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (PDX). IF YOU NEED TO BE PICKED UP FROM THE AIRPORT, ALERT CAN ARRANGE A DUTY DRIVER TO PICK YOU UP AND ESCORT YOU TO ASTORIA. IF DRIVING, THE USCGC ALERT IS LOCATED AT THE COLUMBIA MARITIME MUSEUM PIER IN ASTORIA, OR. UNIFORM FOR REPORTING ABOARD IS TROPICAL BLUE LONG. YOU SHOULD PLAN TO REPORT BETWEEN 0800 AND 1500 ON THE DAY OF YOUR SCHEDULED ARRIVAL, WHICH YOU SHOULD FINALIZE WITH YOUR SPONSOR.
7. SECTOR COLUMBIA HAS A SMALL MEDICAL CLINIC WITH DENTAL FACILITIES. ASTORIA IS ALSO A TRICARE PRIME AREA. THE LOCAL HOSPITAL IS COLUMBIA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL.
8. YOU CAN VISIT THE ALERT WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION: WWW.USCG.MIL/PACAREA/CGCALERT.
9. WELCOME ABOARD AND CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ASSIGNMENT TO USCGC ALERT (WMEC 630).