Coast Guard Personnel Service Center
Officer Personnel Management Division
Officer Evaluations Branch (CG PSC-opm-3)
Members of the rating chain
- Mention the officer's conduct is the subject of a
judicial, administrative, or investigative proceeding,
including criminal and non-judicial punishment proceedings
under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, civilian
criminal proceedings, PRRB, BCMR, or any other investigation
(including discrimination investigations) except as provided
in Article 5.A.3.e. Referring to the fact conduct was the
subject of a proceeding of a type described above is also
permissible when necessary to respond to issues regarding
that proceeding first raised by an officer in a reply under
Article 5.A.4.g. These restrictions do not preclude comments
on the conduct that is the subject of the proceeding. They
only prohibit reference to the proceeding itself.
- Consider or evaluate the performance of any officer as a
member of court-martial, or give a less favorable evaluation
to any defense counsel because of the zeal with which they
represented an accused. Such evaluations are prohibited by
the Manual for Courts-Martial, M.C.M. 104 (b) (1). This is
not intended to preclude the accurate evaluation of, and
comment on, counsels' advocacy skills (e.g., trial
preparation, organization, logical analysis, writing
ability, oral advocacy, direct or cross examination,
handling of evidence, use of expert witnesses or
demonstrative evidence, etc.) displayed in a court-martial
setting. However, in commenting on such performance, whether
favorable or unfavorable, no reference will be made to the
name, case number, or final result (acquittal, conviction,
- Mention or allude to the fact that the Reported-on
Officer was not selected by a board or panel (e.g.,
references to non-voluntary retirement or separation).
- Mention any PRRB or CG BCMR application or decision.
- Mention any medical or psychological conditions, whether
factual or speculative. Restriction applies to Reported-on
Officer and family members.
- Mention pregnancy. Restriction applies to Reported-on
Officer and family members.
- Expressly evaluate, compare, or emphasize gender,
religion, color, race or ethnic background.
- Place emphasis upon a third party by name, gender,
religion, color, race, or ethnic background (e.g., Catholic
lay minister, wrote award recommendation for
African-American civilian, was a female role model).
- Refer to the Reported-on Officer by first name.
- Refer to Reported-on Officer's marital or family status.
- Discuss Reported-on Officer's performance or conduct
which occurred outside the reporting period.
- Provide comments, attachments or citations which include
information subject to a security classification.
Evaluations of officers in billets dealing with classified
national security issues should characterize performance in
a manner which captures the essence of actions and their
impact as specifically as possible without raising the
classification above the UNCLAS level.