Electronic Submission of applications reduces costs for mariners and the government. It is highly recommended that a mariner submit applications electronically.
This page provides basic information on how mariners can submit credential application packages using e-mail.
E-mail Submission of
Merchant Mariner Credential Applications
The video to the right walks you through the e-submission process. For more information on filling out forms, check the links below.
Instructions for E-mailing Applications to an REC:
- Step 1: Select an REC, and completely fill out all necessary application forms, using the Coast Guard’s Application Acceptance Checklist as a guide for required documents.
- Step 2: The e-mail attachment(s) must include a copy of your TWIC or TWIC application receipt.
- Step 3: User fees (if applicable) must be paid using www.pay.gov. The e-mail attachment(s) must include a copy of your pay.gov user fee receipt.
- Step 4: Completed applications must be scanned at a resolution not exceeding 300 dpi, saved in PDF format, and not exceeding 8 megabytes (MB) in size. If e-mail size (including attachments) exceeds 8 MB, send documents in multiple e-mails.
- Step 5: Look for the E-mail Application button at the bottom of the REC’s webpage.
- Step 6: The subject line of your e-mail must be: (Last name, first name, middle name,
mariner reference #). Example: (Mariner, Johnny, L, #####).
Note: New applicants will not have reference numbers.
- Step 7: Ensure all attachments are included, then send.
Please use the minimum number of e-mails to send your application and attachments.