Congratulations on your assignment to MSST Los Angeles/Long Beach (91103) and the Los Angeles/Long Beach (LA/LB) area.
LA/LB is known for its amazing weather (year round avg. highs of 70 degrees), beautiful beaches and a nearly unlimited
number of activities for members and their families. Our goal is to provide you the assistance and information necessary
to ensure an easy transition to the area and the Deployable Specialized Forces community.
MSST LA/LB provides a dedicated Active Duty and Reserve force that possesses specialized skills, capabilities and expertise
to perform a broad range of Port Security and Harbor Defense missions. MSST LA/LB will augment Coast Guard forces during major marine
events, contingencies, and other Coast Guard law enforcement
operations (i.e. CD and AMIO) primarily in ports, Harbors, Internal waterways and coastal regions. MSST LA/LB will conduct operations without the need for
supplemental training or additional outfitting through all MARSEC levels, and will be capable of operating under the threat of numerous attacks.
Office Hours: 0630-1300 Monday - Friday
Phone Number: (310) 521-4216
Command Duty Officer: (310) 694-1684
Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I report?
- Members should report during normal working hours (0630-1300)
- What is the uniform of the day?
- Operational Dress Uniform.
- What is the average temperature?
- SUMMER: 78F
- WINTER: 64F
- What Ratings are utilized at a MSST?
- BM, EM, ET, GM, MK, ME, SK, OS, DC, YN, HS
- What is the nearest city?
- Los Angeles (26 Miles)
- Location of the nearest exchange / commissary?
- COAST GUARD EXCHANGE, Base San Pedro and El Segundo AFB EXCHANGE & COMMISSARY
- What type of housing is available?
- Members W/Dependents: Coast Guard Government-owned family housing is
available for all ranks at three locations: Seal Beach and San Pedro.
- Cost of average two bedroom apartment in the area: $1400-$1600
- Base LA/LB local Housing Office: (310) 521-6144
- What are the physical fitness requirements?
- You should expect to perform the Commandant's revised MLE physical fitness
test shortly after your arrival. Anticipate a 500yd swim, pushups, pull-ups,
sit-ups, sit and reach, and a 1.5 mile run. As a unit, the PFT is administered
semi-annually. Members must be at the gym by 0630 daily. Also, there is a
possibility that you will train on several different types of law enforcement
tactics. There are numerous physical fitness coordinators to assist you in the development of a
personal program, however you should arrive fully ready to meet these