A eleven day course of instruction designed for U.S. Coast Guard personnel. This course trains boarding team members in various topics including use of force and boarding procedures. Graduates of this course should expect to return to their units to perform the duties of a boarding team member under the supervision of a Boarding Officer.
11 training days over two weeks.
- Use of Force
- Tactical Procedures
- Defensive Tactics
- Frisk/ SIA
- Maritime Law Enforcement Boarding Procedures
- Confined Spaces
- Member is within maximum allowable weight in accordance with Coast Guard Weight and Body Fat Standards Program Manual, COMDTINST M1020.8 (series)
- Member has satisfactorily completed the Physical Fitness Standards Task of the U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Competency Qualifications Instruction, COMDTINST 16247.3 (series) within 30 days of reporting for training
- Member has satisfactorily completed the Practical Pistol Course (SIG P229R-Dak .40cal) and Judgmental Use of Force Evaluation (JUFE) Tasks of the U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Competency Qualifications Instruction, COMDTINST 16247.3 (series)
- Medical Questionnaire/Fit For Full Duty Status reviewed. Members must be cleared by a health services person as being eligible to receive full face exposure (FFE) of OC Pepper Spray. Medical questionnaire, available for download from the MLE Academy Portal.
- Member has either 18 months remaining at current unit or has orders to a unit with the expectation that the member will be serving in an LE capacity; and 6. Member possesses, in the opinion of the CO/OIC, the requisite judgment, maturity, attitude, and aptitude to serve as a Boarding Officer or Boarding Team Member.
All waivers must be approved by COMDT (CG-MLE-2).
Course ChiefLT Eric Lunde
U.S. Coast Guard Maritime Law Enforcement Academy