DO NOT SUBMIT ETR TO TQC FOR THIS COURSE.
Beginning 01SEP2015, in accordance with ALCOAST 083-15, in addition to completion of the Introduction to Maritime Law Enforcement (Course Code: 501852) e-learning course, prospective BOPC candidates will be required to successfully complete the paper based "Introduction to Maritime Law Enforcement" EOCT (1852-1) prior to attending the Boarding Officer Practical Course (BOPC) held at the Maritime Law Enforcement Academy (MLEA).
The Boarding Officer Practical Course (BOPC) is the resident training portion of the Boarding Officer Qualification Support Program (BOQSP) which is designed to provide a foundation in applicable legal concepts, stressing both self-paced (Boarding Officer E-Learning Course) and practical experience (resident course) in maritime law enforcement operations.
All graduates of ME "A" School and MLEA BTM course graduates are REQUIRED to use the BOPC as the avenue for the initial BO qualification. Due to the accelerated pace of instruction, members who certified BTM via PQS shall be high-performing and experienced BTMs.
10 training days over two weeks.
- Authority and Jurisdiction (Review)
- Use of Force (Review)
- Tactical Procedures
- Criminal Law
- Constitutional Law
- Defensive Tactics
- Arrest Procedures
- Maritime Law Enforcement Boarding Procedures
- Hazardous Situations
- Boating Safety Regulations
- Commercial Fishing Industry Vessel Regulations
- Boating Under the Influence Enforcement
- Fraudulent Documents
- Drug Identification
- Be previously or currently certified as a BTM.
- Member has satisfactorily completed and holds a current qualification for the Practical Pistol Course (SIG P229R-Dak .40cal) and Judgmental Use of Force Evaluation (JUFE) Tasks of the U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Competency Qualifications Instruction, COMDTINST 16247.3 (series).
- Completed the BOC E-Learning Course.
- Member is within maximum allowable weight in accordance with Coast Guard Weight and Body Fat Standards Program Manual, COMDTINST M1020.8 (series).
- Member has satisfactorily completed the Physical Fitness Standards Task of the U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Competency Qualifications Instruction, COMDTINST 16247.3 (series) within 30 days of reporting for training.
***Note: An initial Physical Fitness Test (PFT) will be held on Training Day 2 of the course. Members that do not meets the required standard will be retested prior to the end of the first week of training. As per the MLEM, if the member does not pass the retest, they will be sent home. As per ALCOAST 502/12, students who fail the PFT and are disenrolled, the first flag officer in parent chain of command along with the next superior in the parent chain of command will be notified.***
- Medical Questionnaire/Fit For Full Duty Status reviewed. Members must be cleared by a health services person as being eligible to receive full face exposure (FFE) of OC Pepper Spray unless member has a record of successful completion of FFE on file. Medical questionnaire is available for download from the MLE Academy Website on CG Portal.
- Upon enrollment by BOPC course manager ashore/DSF personnel, member has either 18 months remaining at current unit, or has orders to a unit with the expectation that the member will be serving in an LE capacity. For afloat personnel, member has either 12 months remaining at current unit, or has orders to a unit with the expectation that the member will be serving in an LE capacity; and
- Member possesses, in the opinion of the CO/OIC, the requisite judgment, maturity, attitude, and aptitude to serve as a Boarding Officer.
All waivers must be approved by COMDT (CG-MLE-2). A waiver must be approved prior to submitting an enrollment request via the Boarding Officer Qualification Support Program Enrollment Form.
Potential candidates shall apply for the Boarding Officer Qualification Support Program (BOQSP).
Course Number Convening Date Graduation Date 507 FULL FULL 508 FULL FULL 509 FULL FULL 510 FULL FULL 511 11-May-15 22-May-15 512 01-Jun-15 12-Jun-15 513 15-Jun-15 26-Jun-15 514 06-Jul-15 17-Jul-15 515 20-Jul-15 31-Jul-15 516 27-Jul-15 07-Aug-15 517 03-Aug-15 14-Aug-15 518 17-Aug-15 28-Aug-15 519 14-Sep-15 25-Sep-15 601 19-Oct-15 30-Oct-15 602 30-Nov-15 11-Dec-15 603 04-Jan-16 15-Jan-16 604 25-Jan-16 05-Feb-16 605 29-Feb-16 11-Mar-16 606 21-Mar-16 01-Apr-16 607 18-Apr-16 29-Apr-16 608 09-May-16 20-May-16 609 06-Jun-16 17-Jun-16 610 11-Jul-16 22-Jul-16 611 08-Aug-16 19-Aug-16 612 12-Sep-16 23-Sep-16 613 26-Sep-16 07-Oct-16
MEC Daniel Watson
U. S. Coast Guard Maritime Law Enforcement Academy