Skip Navigation


Security Levels


General advice and assistance may be given in the area of federal, state and local taxes. Tax forms may be made available for filing returns and clients may be assisted in preparing appropriate forms. Electronic tax filing services are authorized for civilian Coast Guard employees in the same manner as for eligible military members.

Annual Tax Clinic

Each year, the Legal Division operates a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) center in suite 400 beginning around 15 January. Last year, over 400 Coast Guard members and employees took advantage of this valuable service. Of the services offered, the most popular has been electronic filing of federal & state returns. Last year, most participants received their refunds via direct deposit within two weeks of filing. Most commercial tax preparers charge over $100 for this service, but for VITA participants it is FREE. Our volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS to provide tax assistance. Some volunteers also receive training in Virginia tax law.

VITA Services are also avaliabele at Base Portsmouth.

The Volunteers Can:

  • Answer tax questions;
  • Provide tax forms and publications (the center has all federal tax forms and publications and common forms for every state);
  • Review a tax return you've prepared; within limits;
  • Prepare a tax return;
  • Electronically file your federal return with the IRS, and many states, and have your refund deposited directly into your checking account.

The center typically is open daily 0800-1630 beginning around 15 January. Volunteers will be available by appointment Tuesdays and Thursdays to review or prepare returns. Call Legal Service Command- Legal Assistance Center at (757) 295-2308 to make an appointment.

To have a volunteer review or prepare a return, you must bring:

  • This year's tax package and/or label;
  • All W-2 and 1099 forms;
  • Information for other income;
  • Information for deductions/credits;
  • A copy of last year's tax return;
  • A voided check (if you're filing electronically and want to have your refund deposited to your account);
  • A picture ID (if filing electronically) (NOTE: If filing a joint electronic return, both spouses must attend or have power of attorney);
  • Social Security cards or other acceptable records showing your SSN and your dependents SSN's.

There is no charge for this service!

All employees (military and civilian), & anyone eligible to receive legal assistance may use this service.

For more information, call (757) 295-2308.

Internal Revenue Service web site.

Last Modified 4/7/2015