Office Hours: 0700-1530 Monday - Friday
Frequently Asked Questions
- When should I report?
- Members should report during normal working hours (0700-1530)
- What is the normal uniform?
- Operational Duty Uniform.
- What is the climate in Houston?
- Summer: Tropical Winter: Warm with some cold spells
- What Ratings are utilized at a MSST?
- BM, GM, MK, MST, OS, SK, YN, ET, HS, DC, EM
- MSST Houston is located near Ellington AFB next
to US Coast Guard Sector Houston Galveston building and just north of
NASA's Johnson Space Center.
- Location of the nearest exchange / commissary?
- There is a small exchange/uniform shop onboard Sector Field Office
Houston-Galveston on Galveston Island, as well as a small Air Force
exchange onboard Ellington AFB.
- Is government messing available?
- Yes, Sector Houston Galley.
- What is the cost of an average 2 bedroom apartment?
- Varies by location, but well within BAH allowances.
- Where do most team members live?
- Many crew members live in League City, Seabrook,
Texas City, Clear Lake, and the surrounding area. A good real estate
website is www.HAR.com, or you can go through USAA with the Movers
Advantage Program. Also, here a list of convicted sexual
offender residences. You can search this by address or area.
- Where can I get additional information about the unit?
- The unit maintains a website on CG Central. Your sponsor should also
be able to answer many of your questions.
- What are the physical fitness requirements?
- You should expect to perform the Commandant's revised MLE physical
fitness test shortly after your arrival. Anticipate a 500yd swim, pushups,
pull-ups, sit-ups, sit and reach, and a 1.5 mile run. As a unit, the PFT
is administered semi-annually. The unit pays for a membership to a gym
on Galveston Island. Members be at the gym by 0630 daily. Also, there
is a possibility that you will train on vertical insertion and both armed
/ unarmed law enforcement tactics. You should be comfortable with heights.
There are numerous physical fitness coordinators to assist you in the
development of a personal program, however you should arrive fully ready
to meet these challenges.
Hurricane Preparedness Information
Items of Interest