KEY WEST, FLORIDA
Welcome aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter MOHAWK. The ship is named for the Algonquin tribe of Iroquoian Indians who lived in the Mohawk Valley of New York. MOHAWK is the third cutter to bear the name. The original MOHAWK (1902-1917), a first class, 205-foot, steel revenue cruiser was built in Richmond, Virginia, and commissioned on May 10th, 1904. She was used primarily as a training ship. In October of 1917 she was struck by another vessel and sank off Sandy Hook, New Jersey.
The second MOHAWK (1935-1948), a 165-foot, “A” class cutter, was built in Wilmington, Delaware and commissioned on January 19th, 1935. She served primarily as an escort and ice patrol ship in the north Atlantic. On January 8th, 1948, MOHAWK was decommissioned and was used as a pilot boat on the Delaware River for more than 30 years. She is located in Key West, Florida.
The third and current MOHAWK is the thirteenth and last of the 270-foot “Famous” class cutters. Built by the former Robert E. Derecktor Shipyards of Rhode Island, MOHAWK was christened on September 9th, 1989. Since the time of her commissioning in March of 1991, she has served the Coast Guard in a wide variety of missions including Search and Rescue, Maritime Law Enforcement, and Alien Migrant Interdiction Operations. MOHAWK has been responsible for the rescue of more than 5,000 Haitian, Cuban, and Dominican Republic migrants and has supported as many as 756 migrants on deck at one time. MOHAWK has also seized more than 20,700 pounds of illegal drugs. This, as well as MOHAWK’s role in several search and rescue cases and numerous boardings to enforce our nation’s laws, has earned MOHAWK two Unit Commendations, the Joint Meritorious Service Award and two Humanitarian Service Awards. MOHAWK is homeported in Key West, Florida.
CG Foundation Award Video: http://youtu.be/mBGPxlNKA-k
c/o Sector Key West
100 Trumbo Point Annex
(305) 292-8750 Phone
(305) 292-8792 Fax
CGC MOHAWK Ombudsman: MOHAWKOmbudsman@yahoo.com