ESO Designation & Relief
Education Services Officer
Why do I need a designation letter?
- Per Performance, Training and Education Manual (CIM 1500.10C), all units shall designate a collateral duty Education Services Officer (ESO) if a full time ESO is not assigned to the unit. See Chapter1: Introduction - Section 5-f.
- You must have a designation letter signed by your CO/OINC on file with CGI in order to have access to our TACCTS system. You will need TACCTS access to process TA, grants, order/administer tests, and process transcript requests.
Why do I need a relief letter?
- The relief letter verifies that an end-of-course test audit has been completed between the outgoing ESO and the incoming ESO. This provides a clear audit record if there are any inventory discrepancies.
- Sending the relief letter to CGI ensures your TACCTS account is closed. Without this notification, according to CGI records, you are still responsible for the inventory of that unit.
- Upon receipt of the relief letter, CGI removes you from the ESO email bang list.
- Download the sample letters below and use it as a template for your unit's letters.
- Both designation & relief letters must be signed by the unit's CO/OINC. If the CO/OINC is the ESO, then the letter should be signed by the next person up the chain of command.
- Ideally, a designation letter for the incoming ESO and a relief letter for the outgoing ESO should be sent to CGI at the same time.
- The signed letter can be sent to the CST Division via:
- As an attachment to a TACCTS ticket to the CST Division. Select ESO Designation/Relief as the description.
- Email: CGI-DG-CST_DIV@uscg.mil
- FAX: (405) 954-3684
- You will receive an email back with your username and temporary password for TACCTS. Designation/relief is usually processed within 24 hours of receipt.
Sample designation/relief letters
- All units shall designate an Alternate ESO to act in the absence of the Primary ESO.
- Alternate ESOs follow the same designation procedures as Primary ESOs.
ESO Guide Volume I: ESO Designation & Relief