Rate Advancement Courses (EOCT/EPME)
Active Duty Member
Online course material
- Most EOCT study materials and Enlisted Performance Qualifications (EPQ) are available online at the CG Portal. To access, go to:
- CG Portal >
- Select tab (at top) >
- Select (left menu) >
- The page will open.
- Scroll down and select the catalog.
How to order courses & tests
- All courses and tests must be ordered by your ESO. CGI does not accept requests directly from members.
CG Deck Watch Officer Examination Program
- Ref: Commandant Instruction 16672.5C
- Deck Watch Officer International/Inland - Original (DWINTO)
- Initial DWO exam, required if you have not previously passed the DWO Exam or if it has been over five years since the date of your last examination with a passing score.
- This is a closed book exam, no reference material is authorized.
- Deck Watch Officer International/Inland Renewal (DWINTR)
- Renewal DWO exam, eligible if you have previously passed an initial DWO exam or a renewal exam within the last five years.
- Test is open book. You may use a like new, corrected-to-date, but otherwise unmarked copy of the Navigation Rules, International-Inland, COMDTINST M16672.2 (series) book. The book can not contain personalized tabs, indexes, or notes.
- If you fail to successfully complete a renewal DWO exam within five years, you must revert back to the initial DWO exam (DWINTO).
- Approved Rules of the Road Courses
- Credit for completion of the DWO exam can be earned by taking some Rules of the Road courses.
- Before enrolling in any course, check the the National Maritime Center (NMC) listing of approved courses to make sure your school qualifies for credit.
- Give your completion certificate to your ESO for submission to CGI for entry into Direct Access. Under no circumstances shall the SPO enter credit for the DWINTO into Direct Access.