TA Indebtedness Resolution
Education Services Officer
Members will be required to pay back TA if:
- Member disenrolled/withdrew from course after school cut-off date for disenrollments/withdraws and the school received monies for the course.
- Member receives an "F" or "Incomplete" for the course.
- Enlisted person separates prior to course completion date or officer separates prior to fulfilling the service obligation set forth in ALCOAST 012/09.
Exceptions TA payback requirements include:
- Individuals non-selected for promotion and scheduled for retirement and/or separation (i.e., are being mandatorily separated due to non-selection for promotion or continuation) who had TA requests approved prior to the announcement of the board results that resulted in mandatory separation. Exception: If the course has not started upon announcement of the board, the TA authorization must be cancelled.
- Discharged for reason of Convenience of the Government in connection with a reduction in force.
- If member is discharged under provisions contained in ALCGOFF 045/10 or ALCGENL 046/10, the member will be required to repay Tuition Assistance (TA) at a prorated amount. Example: Member receives $750 in TA funds. The course is 3 months and the member is departing 1 month prior to the end of course date. $750/3 = $250. The member will be required to repay $250.
- Separated by reason of physical disability, illness, injury, or other impairment incurred in the line of duty and not due to misconduct; or receive a hardship discharge.
Resolving TA Indebtedness
- Members will resolve their indebtedness to the government. Monies that are repaid are returned to the USCG account and reallocated. Normally, action will be taken by NETPDTC to have TA indebtedness collected via member's pay.
- However, member may repay TA debt by mailing a money order or cashier's check (do not send personal check) payable to the U.S. Treasury to:
Commanding Officer NETPDTC N8115
(Attn: Coast Guard Group)
6490 Saufley Field Road
Pensacola , FL 32509-5241
- Member should include a copy of the TA Authorization form and ensure SSN, course name, and TA Authorization number is on the check.