TA Eligibility Limitations
Education Services Officer
TA is NOT authorized for:
- Graduate courses, per ALCOAST 502/13.
- Any course for which the member is receiving assistance under any other Federally funded program where such a payment would constitute a duplication of benefits from the Federal Treasury. In cases where Federal grant monies are credited to the student's Institution account, the credited portion will not be reimbursed by Tuition Assistance. NOTE: TA may be used when a member is receiving “financial aid” such as a student loan, Sallie Mae, Stafford loan, etc. However, per COMDTINST M1500.C, “TA is to be calculated after grants, scholarships and fellowships have been deducted from the cost of tuition, with the exception of Pell Grants.” These grants are needs based and therefore may be used by the student to defray any educational related expense.
- Course tuition paid for by primary employer ( not Coast Guard). If only a portion of the tuition is paid for by primary employer, member may submit TA request for the remainder of the tuition.
- Audited courses: Courses students are not officially registered for nor earn grade or credit.
- Courses previously paid for using TA are not authorized further TA payments. (ie. Courses previously completed when the member received a "final grade of D or better", or a course which has been waived by the CG Institute.)
- Physical education or recreation courses, unless the courses are required by the institution for degree completion, or the member is a candidate for a degree with a major in physical education or recreation and has not been awarded the physical education credits recommending by ACE for military training.
- Courses when a member is in a duty-under-instruction status (DUINS) and the member's educational fees are being paid through another Coast Guard program.
- Coast Guard members that are inmates in military, state, or federal prisons.
- Undergraduate students who's average GPA is less than 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the previous 12 semester hours completed under TA. In this case, further CG TA will not be authorized. Forward grade report showing GPA of at least 2.1 or higher for “all courses regardless of TA usage” to the CG Institute TAG Division which will coordinate the resolution with the Navy to request new TA.
- Graduate students whose academic average for previous 12 semester hours is "less than a grade of "B" (or less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale).
- Courses resulting in Continuing Education Units (CEUs), or Professional Development Units (PDUs). Courses credited in contact hours or clock hours. This includes courses converted from contact/clock to quarter/semester hours (usually applies to certificate programs). Students and ESOs/ESSs need to be careful not to approve courses from schools who convert clock hours to credit hours in order to avoid CG TA funds collection.
- Preparatory courses, Licenses (maritime, real estate, AC&R, etc.), or Tests (GMAT, GRE, LSAT), Certification Courses (computer, maritime, law, medical, etc.)
- Contract and Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) employees.
- Personnel awarded an administration discharge, in confinement, on appellate leave, or awaiting administration separation other than honorable or general discharge under honorable conditions. Service members convicted by foreign or domestic courts, serving sentences in foreign prisons.