Apply for TA with TA Form CG-4147
Active Duty Member
How does the process work?
- Download the Application for Coast Guard Tuition Assistance (CG-4147) and save it to your computer.
- Once the form is complete, email it to your ESO for review and approval. All applications, corrections, cancellations must go through your ESO. In addition, member needs to submit supporting documentation to the ESO along with the CG-4147 (i.e assessment, verification of enrollment, cost and type of fees claimed, and cost of tuition).
- Keep a copy of the form for your records.
- Your ESO reviews and approves the application which is then sent to CG Institute for processing.
- CG Institute processes the application and the TA Authorization is sent to your ESO and to you via email (if your email is correct in DA). If you don't receive the Authorization within 14 days, ask your ESO for a copy.
How do I fill out the application?
- The form contains detailed instructions for completion. Nearly 40% of TA applications sent to CG Institute contain errors - these slow down the processing of your request. Be sure you read the instructions, fill out the form completely and proof your application. Ask your ESO if you have questions.
- Check the School Code Listing to make sure your college is eligible for CG TA.
- Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Take a look at the common errors when completing the application.
- Allow enough lead time. TA is paid directly to the college, so you want them to receive payment before the class begins. TA can be applied for up to 3 month prior to course start date.
- Be sure you read the Statement of Agreement/Understanding on page 2 of the form. Understand that by signing the form, you agree to all the terms outlined in the Statement of Agreement.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 10/21/2014