Rate Advancement Courses (EOCT/EPME)
Active Duty Member
Online course material
- Most EOCT study materials and Enlisted Performance Qualifications (EPQ) are available online at the CG Portal. To access, go to:
- CG Portal >
- Select tab (at top) >
- Select (left menu) >
- The page will open.
- Scroll down and select the catalog.
How to order courses & tests
- All courses and tests must be ordered by your ESO. CG Institute does not accept requests directly from members.
CG Deck Watch Officer Examination Program
- Ref: Commandant Instruction 16672.5C
- Deck Watch Officer International/Inland - Original (DWINTO)
- Initial DWO exam, required if you have not previously passed the DWO Exam or if it has been over five years since the date of your last examination with a passing score.
- This is a closed book exam, no reference material is authorized.
- Deck Watch Officer International/Inland Renewal (DWINTR)
- Renewal DWO exam, eligible if you have previously passed an initial DWO exam or a renewal exam within the last five years.
- Test is open book. You may use a like new, corrected-to-date, but otherwise unmarked copy of the Navigation Rules, International-Inland, COMDTINST M16672.2 (series) book. The book can not contain personalized tabs, indexes, or notes.
- If you fail to successfully complete a renewal DWO exam within five years, you must revert back to the initial DWO exam (DWINTO).
- Approved Rules of the Road Courses
- Credit for completion of the DWO exam can be earned by taking some Rules of the Road courses.
- Before enrolling in any course, check the the National Maritime Center (NMC) listing of approved courses to make sure your school qualifies for credit.
- Give your completion certificate to your ESO for submission to CG Institute for entry into Direct Access. Under no circumstances shall the SPO enter credit for the DWINTO into Direct Access.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 7/2/2015