Assumed Average Weight Per Person (AAWPP)
(46 CFR 170.090(g))
Information regarding the Assumed Average Weight Per Person is coordinated by the Naval Architecture Division (CG-ENG-2).
On December 1, 2011, the Assumed Average Weight Per Person (AAWPP) of 185 pounds became effective.
Documents associated with the AAWPP and the basis for its determination can be accessed below. These include:
- the Final Rule that announces the AAWPP and how it will be updated (Document No. 1 linked below);
- the Small Entity Compliance Guide that outlines what owners and operators need to do to comply with this Final Rule (Document No. 2);
- the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that discusses the basis by which the AAWPP of 185 pounds is determined (Document No. 3);
- the Federal Register notices that discuss the voluntary interim measures for domestic vessel passenger weight (Document Nos. 4 and 5);
- reports issued by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) that contain the source data used in obtaining a AAWPP update (Document Nos. 6, 7, and 8);
- the FAA advisory circular that provides aircraft operators with guidance on how to develop and receive approval of a weight and balance control program (Document No. 9);
- the USCG Office of Field Activities (CG-543) Policy Letter 11-03, dated APR 8, 2011, titled "Implementation of Revised Passenger Weight Standards for Existing Passenger Vessels" (Document No. 10); and
- the CG-543 Homeport site on Passenger Weight and Vessel Stability Requirements (Document No. 11).
- Federal Register Vol. 75 No. 239 (December 14, 2010) "Passenger weight and Inspected Vessel Stability Requirements; Final Rule" (75 FR 78064)
- Small Entity Compliance Guide "Passenger weight and Vessel Stability Requirements"
- Federal Register Vol. 73 No. 162 (August 20, 2008) "Passenger weight and Inspected Vessel Stability Requirements; Proposed Rule" (73 FR 49244)
- Federal Register Vol. 71 No. 212 (November 2, 2006) "Domestic Vessel Passenger Weights--Voluntary Interim Measures" (71 FR 64546)
- Federal Register Vol. 63 No. 30 (April 26, 2006) "Domestic Vessel Passenger Weights--Voluntary Interim Measures" (71 FR 24732)
- National Health Statistics Report, No. 10 (October 22, 2008) "Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 2003-2006"
- Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics, No. 361 (July 7, 2005) "Anthropometric Reference Data for Children and Adults: United States, 1999-2002"
- Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics, No. 347 (October 27, 2004) "Mean Body Weight, Height, and Body Mass Index, United States 1960-2002"
- Federal Aviation Administration Advisory Circular No. AC 120-27E (June 20, 2005) "Aircraft Weight and Balance Control"
- USCG CG-543 Policy Letter (April 8, 2011) "Implementation of Revised Passenger Weight Standards for Existing Passenger Vessels"
- Passenger Weight and Vessel Stability compliance/Homeport Site
Contact the Naval Architecture Division:
Attn: Naval Architecture Division
U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7509
2703 Martin Luther King Jr Ave S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20593-7509