ESO Designation & Relief
Education Services Officer
Why do I need a designation letter?
- Per Performance, Training and Education Manual (CIM 1500.10C), all units shall designate a collateral duty Education Services Officer (ESO) if a full time ESO is not assigned to the unit. See Chapter1: Introduction - Section 5-f.
- You must have a designation letter signed by your CO/OINC on file with CG Institute in order to have access to our TACCTS system. You will need TACCTS access to process TA, grants, order/administer tests, and process transcript requests.
Why do I need a relief letter?
- The relief letter verifies that an end-of-course test audit has been completed between the outgoing ESO and the incoming ESO. This provides a clear audit record if there are any inventory discrepancies.
- Sending the relief letter to CG Institute ensures your TACCTS account is closed. Without this notification, according to CG Institute records, you are still responsible for the inventory of that unit.
- Upon receipt of the relief letter, CG Institute removes you from the ESO email bang list.
- Download the sample letters below and use it as a template for your unit's letters.
- Both designation & relief letters must be signed by the unit's CO/OINC. If the CO/OINC is the ESO, then the letter should be signed by the next person up the chain of command.
- Ideally, a designation letter for the incoming ESO and a relief letter for the outgoing ESO should be sent to CG Institute at the same time.
- The signed letter can be sent to the CST Division via:
- As an attachment to a TACCTS ticket to the CST Division. Select ESO Designation/Relief as the description.
- Email: CGI-DG-CST_DIV@uscg.mil
- FAX: (405) 954-3684
- You will receive an email back with your username and temporary password for TACCTS. Designation/relief is usually processed within 24 hours of receipt.
Sample designation/relief letters
- All units shall designate an Alternate ESO to act in the absence of the Primary ESO.
- Alternate ESOs follow the same designation procedures as Primary ESOs.
ESO Guide Volume I: ESO Designation & Relief