Go to College
- CG Civilian employees may have ACE credit for courses taken through the Coast Guard, for examination credits and/or for prior military service credit. If so, CG Civilians may request a Joint Service Transcript (JST) for those courses/exams with ACE credit.
- Click on the following link to access the Joint Service Transcript (JST) . If you have a CAC Card, select”Login with your CAC”. Once you have entered the website, select “Transcripts” from the top menu. This will open the transcript menu. Select “Transcript” from this menu to view your unofficial JST and review it for accuracy.
- If items are missing or are wrong on the JST, civilians should complete Application for Correction Form CGI-1562 and submit it to the Registrar’s Office at the Coast Guard Institute. Be sure to include with documentation for the missing or erroneous item(s). More information about JST can be found under the Go to College section under Active Duty Members.
- College credit can be earned by taking examinations sponsored by DANTES. Civilians are encouraged to review college credit by examination and especially the CG Institute Study Library for available examinations and resources. Many of these resources are free to civilians. See college credit by examination for details.
- The DANTES sponsored examinations are eligible to be listed on the JST. If you took CLEP or DSST exams previously and they do not appear on the JST, submit copies of the score report(s) using the Application for Correction Form CGI-1562.
Pay for College
- Tuition Assistance: Civilian employees are not eligible for CG Tuition Assistance, per ALCOAST 148/14.
- Scholarship, grant & loan resources: A list of links for scholarships is provided as a resource for civilians.
- Additional scholarships and grants may be available through the college or university that you are attending. Check with your academic advisor or the financial aid office.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/12/2016