CG Foundation & Vander Putten Education Grants
Active Duty Member
- Coast Guard Foundation Education Grant (CGFEG) and Vander Putten Education Grant (VPEG) are currently suspended until further notice. If future funding becomes available, an all ESO e-mail will be released.
- Grants are supported by gift funds from the CG Foundation and will be disbursed based on availability of future funding on a first come, first served basis.
What grants are available?
- University of Oregon Bookstore Education Grant (UOBEG)
- Marine Science Education Grant (MSEG)
- CG Foundation Education Grant (CGFEG)
- Vander Putten Education Grant (VPEG)
- Selected Cutters Education Grant (SCEG)
- The policies and procedures are the same for the above grants and you can apply for all on one application form. There is no specific application for the MSEG, UOBEG, or SCEG (use the CGFEG/VPEG application). To determine which grant the member is eligible to utilize, the board will review the rate entered in block #5, the OPFAC, and whether duty was performed in a designated Southwest Asia combat zone.
Am I eligible?
- All active duty E-3 to E-6 and reserve E-3 to E-6 currently servicing on active duty order of at least one year are eligible. (SCEG: Commands have the discretion in determining eligibility for active duty members ranked E-2).
- Marine Science Education Grant (MSEG) applicants must be in the MST rating.
- UOBEG applicants must have served in a designated Southwest Asia combat zone for 30 consecutive days or 60 non-consecutive days in the Calendar Year. This is the only Grant program administered by CGI for which Officers are eligible.
- Selected Cutters Education Grant (SCEG) program is ONLY authorized for the active duty members E-3 to E-6 currently serving on CGC Bertholf, CGC Waesche, and CGC Stratton. Commands have the discretion in determining eligibility for active duty members ranked E-2.
How much will the grants pay?
- For the MSEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $500.00.
- For the UOBEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $500.00.
- For the CGFEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $500.00.
- For the VPEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $250.00.
- For the SCEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $500.00.
- The Coast Guard Grants Programs are funded each year through generous gifts from the CG Foundation and the Vander Putten Family. Funding is not guaranteed to cover all requests each year.
What will the grants pay for?
- Reimbursement for text books and miscellaneous educational expenses.
- See a list of commonly claimed expenses to check what is authorized.
- Applicants who receive funding from any other source, such as scholarships, loans, grants, etc., whether these programs are federally-funded or private, are not eligible to receive additional funding for the same expense from the CGFEG or VPEG. Members must report all other sources of funding below the list of items claimed on page two of the 1560/10A.
- Student loan payments:
- When claiming student loan payments for reimbursement, the class for which the loan was secured and the payments made on the student loan must both have been within the last 12 months of the date the CG Institute received the application.
- Documentation from the loan company must show the time frame (i.e. which academic year) for which the loan applies.
- Documentation from the school must show the overage due for the course(s) and/or a copy of the tuition assistance authorization letter must be included with the CGFEG and/or VPFS application(s).
Expenses incurred for membership dues or honor societies will not be considered for reimbursement.
- Some courses that do not earn college credits, such as audit courses, may be considered for reimbursement on a case-by-case basis. Final determination rests with the Commanding Officer, CG Institute.
- The course should be related to the applicant’s Coast Guard duties and/or enhance the applicant’s professional development.
What is the application process?
- Download the Coast Guard Foundation & Vander Putten Education Grants Application (CG-1560-10A) and save it to your computer.
- Once the form is complete, it must be signed by your ESO or CO/OinC.
- It is preferred that the form and the scanned copies of your receipts be submitted to the Institute by your ESO. If however, this is not possible, you can send it directly:
- Keep a copy of the form Including your receipts for your records.
- Within 72 hours of receiving your application, the Institute will send you a confirmation email.
- The Institute will also send you an email once your check has been mailed. Delays in processing are usually due to lack of available funds. Wait at least 2 months from receiving the "application received" email before contacting the Institute for a status update.
- Foundation grants are based on a calendar year. Applications may be submitted throughout the year, but no later than 1 year after the dated receipt. Multiple applications may be submitted throughout the CY until the $250 (VPEG) and $500 (FEG) maximum has been reached.
How do I fill out the application?
- The form contains detailed instructions for completion. Be sure you read the instructions, fill out the form completely and proof your application. Ask your ESO if you have questions.
- Make sure that your application:
- Has every block of the two-page application form is filled out and contains correct information and/or appropriate signatures and dates.
- Has receipts attached. Ensure receipts are itemized, dated, and show proof of purchase in the exact amounts claimed.
- Includes only eligible expenses - see commonly claimed expenses.
- Here are a few examples of acceptable and unacceptable receipts.
- Ask your ESO if you have questions.
What should I do if I don't receive the check?
- Checks should be received no later than one month after CG Institute sends the approval notification email. This is the email sent when the check is mailed.
- If you don't receive your check, complete and email the CG Form 1560/10b, Non-Receipt of Foundation Grant form to CG Institute.
- Replacement checks will not be rewritten until 60 days after the date of original check issue.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 6/23/2016