CG Foundation & Vander Putten Education Grants
Active Duty Member
What grants are available?
- CG Foundation Education Grant (CGFEG)
- Vander Putten Education Grant (VPEG)
- The policies and procedures are the same for both grants and you can apply for both on one application form.
Am I eligible?
- All active duty E-3 to E-9 and reserve E-3 to E-9 currently serving on active duty orders of at least one year are eligible.
How much will the grants pay?
- For the CGFEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $500.00.
- For the VPEG, the maximum reimbursement per calendar year (CY) is $250.00.
- The Coast Guard Grants Programs are funded each year through generous gifts from the CG Foundation and the Vander Putten Family. Funding is not guaranteed to cover all requests each year.
What will the grants pay for?
- Reimbursement for text books and miscellaneous educational expenses.
- See a list of commonly claimed expenses to check what is authorized.
- Applicants who receive funding from any other source, such as scholarships, loans, grants, etc., whether these programs are federally-funded or private, are not eligible to receive additional funding for the same expense from the CGFEG or VPEG. Members must report all other sources of funding below the list of items claimed on page two of the 1560/10A.
What is the application process?
- Download the Coast Guard Foundation & Vander Putten Education Grants Application (CG-1560-10A) and save it to your computer.
- Once the form is complete, it must be signed by your ESO or CO/OinC.
- It is preferred that the form and the scanned copies of your receipts be submitted to the Institute by your ESO. If however, this is not possible, you can send it directly:
- Keep a copy of the form Including your receipts for your records.
- Within 72 hours of receiving your application, the Institute will send you a confirmation email.
- The Institute will also send you an email once your check has been mailed. Delays in processing are usually due to lack of available funds. Wait at least 2 months from receiving the "application received" email before contacting the Institute for a status update.
- Foundation grants are based on a calendar year not fiscal year. Applications may be submitted throughout the year, but no later than 1 December of each CY. Multiple applications may be submitted throughout the CY until the $250 and $500 maximum has been reached.
How do I fill out the application?
- The form contains detailed instructions for completion. Be sure you read the instructions, fill out the form completely and proof your application. Ask your ESO if you have questions.
- Make sure that your application:
- Has every block of the two-page application form is filled out and contains correct information and/or appropriate signatures and dates.
- Has receipts attached. Ensure receipts are itemized, dated, and show proof of purchase in the exact amounts claimed.
- Includes only eligible expenses - see commonly claimed expenses.
- Here are a few examples of acceptable and unacceptable receipts.
- Ask your ESO if you have questions.
What should I do if I don't receive the check?
- Checks should be received no later than one month after CG Institute sends the approval notification email. This is the email sent when the check is mailed.
- If you don't receive your check, complete and email the CG Form 1560/10b, Non-Receipt of Foundation Grant form to CGI.
- Replacement checks will not be rewritten until 60 days after the date of original check issue.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/12/2016