Preparation for DANTES Exams
Active Duty Member
Credit by examination is an excellent way to earn credits toward a college degree at little or no expense. This section will provide instructions on how to select the correct examination, locate resources to prepare for the exam and how to utilize those resources to maximize your ability to pass the exam.
How to select the appropriate exam
- Use your SOC Student Agreement to select an examination required for your degree completion. The SOC Degree Network System Credit Evaluation Supplement provides the SOC Course category code for the DANTES Exams.
- Policies on DANTES exams vary from institution to institution. Many colleges award credit at the score levels recommended by ACE. Some require scores that are higher or lower than ACE recommended score. Check with your school prior to taking exams to ensure they will award you credit.
How to locate the Examination Guide/Fact Sheet
- Obtain a CLEP examination guide or DSST fact sheet at CG Portal (CG Portal » Training & Education » Education » Registrar's Office » College Prep Resources) or from the Unit Testing Control Officer.
- Use the CLEP examination guide or DSST fact sheet to identify the knowledge and skills required for the exam. Locate suitable resource materials to assist your preparation; resources can include the internet, local libraries, and colleges.
- The Examination Guide/Fact Sheet contains a complete exam description—including a content outline, a description of the knowledge and skills required to do well, and sample questions—for each subject. The Examination Guide/Fact Sheet is not designed to replace a textbook.
How to read the exam description
- Review the DANTES exam description; review the study materials using the content outline for note taking. Take the sample test. If you answer 70% or more of the questions correctly, you are prepared to take the test.
- Review section I and section II of the CLEP examination guide. Sections I and II contain additional information on how to prepare for DANTES exams, information on how to take exams, and procedures for reporting flawed questions.
How to schedule the exam
- Contact your DANTES Test Control Officer in order to schedule the exam. If your unit does not have a DANTES Test Control Officer, contact your ESO for further assistance.
How to find study resources