New Leader Program (500917)
About the Course
The New Leader Program, conducted by the Graduate School, USDA, is for
employees who have just entered leadership positions or have a high
potential for leadership. The program is designed to strengthen the
employee's leadership competencies and to teach them how to apply the skills
they learn in real-world situations. Participants gain knowledge and
practice skills that will help them develop into effective leaders.
The training requires participants to be away from their position for a
minimum of 50 days over a 6 month period. The program components include:
- Three one-week residential sessions
- Individual assessment
- Leadership development plan
- Learning teams/team projects
- 30-day developmental work assignment
- Management readings
- Management interviews
- Shadow assignment
Strengthen basic competencies in leadership skills such as teamwork,
customer service, problem solving, self-direction, flexibility,
interpersonal skills, conflict management, decisiveness, oral and written
communication, and working effectively in a diverse workforce.
Full time permanent employees at the GS 7-11, WG 10-15, WL 6-14, and WS 8-13
levels who have just entered leadership positions or have a high potential
for leadership positions such as: first line supervisors, team leaders,
project leaders, administrative support, and members of self-directed work
|Timeframe: March 16 - September 25, 2015
Application Deadline: January 16, 2015
|Timeframe: August 10, 2015 to February 5, 2016
- Coordinate with your Training Officer or ESO to submit
an Electronic Training Request (ETR) using Direct Access.
Course code: 500917.
- Complete a
Grad School Application Form, which includes statements from the
applicant and their supervisor.
- Submit a current
OF612, resume, or equivalent documentation, signed and
dated by the applicant showing current home address.
- Include a letter of nomination in CG memo format from the commanding officer
at field units or appropriate office/division chief for HQ, Area, District
or Sector staffs.
- Scan the documents (in paragraphs 2-4 above) into a .pdf file and send as an
email attachment HQS-SMB-CG-12CTrainingCourses@uscg.mil.
Include the course title within the subject line of the
Costs are paid by Coast Guard Headquarters (AFC 56 "C" school account).
- A selection panel will review the documents of all eligible applicants.
- Selected individuals will be notified by record message traffic of their
- Alternates will be selected and will attend the program in the event a
primary candidate cannot attend.
- Selected individuals will be directed to submit a completed
including the signed Continued Service Agreement (pages 4-5 of the SF182).
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Last Modified 12/11/2014