Aspiring Leader Program (500926)
About the Course
The Aspiring Leader Program, conducted by the Graduate School, USDA,
prepares federal employees for positions as team leaders, supervisors and
managers. The program is designed to strengthen basic competencies in oral
and written communication, problem solving, leadership, interpersonal
skills, self-direction, flexibility, customer service, and decisiveness.
The training requires participants to be away from their position for a
minimum of 20 days over a three month period. The program components
- Three 5-day residential sessions
- A team project that involves the design and delivery of a one-hour
presentation on a management related topic
- An individual needs assessment (covering Leadership Effectiveness Inventory
(LEI) and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator)
- Formulation of a leadership development plan
- A one-week assignment "shadowing" a federal manager
- One-on-one interviews with federal managers
- The reading and preparation of a written review of two books on management
Strengthen basic competencies in team and managerial skills so that they can
excel in their current job and be competitive for promotion opportunities.
Full time permanent employees at the GS 4-6, WG 5-11, WL 1-14, and WS 1-8
levels, who are motivated self-starters, and desire to acquire the skills
they need to work well in a team environment.
|Timeframe: April 20
- May 22, 2015
Application Deadline: January 16, 2015
|Timeframe: July 13 - August 14, 2015
- Coordinate with your Training Officer or ESO to submit an Electronic
Training Request (ETR) using Direct Access. Course code: 500926.
- Complete a
Grad School Application Form, which includes statements from the
applicant and their supervisor.
- Submit a current
OF612, resume, or equivalent documentation, signed and
dated by the applicant showing current home address.
- Include a letter of nomination in CG memo format from the commanding officer
at field units or appropriate office/division chief for HQ, Area, District
or Sector staffs.
- Scan the documents (in paragraphs 2-4 above) into a .pdf file and send as an
email attachment HQS-SMB-CG-12CTrainingCourses@uscg.mil.
Include the course title within the subject line of the
Costs are paid by Coast Guard Headquarters (AFC 56 "C" school account).
- A selection panel will review the documents of all eligible applicants.
- Selected individuals will be notified by record message traffic of their
- Alternates will be selected and will attend the program in the event a
primary candidate cannot attend.
- Selected individuals will be directed to submit a completed
including the signed Continued Service Agreement (pages 4-5 of the SF182).
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Last Modified 12/11/2014