Skip Navigation
Pictures of TRACEN Petaluma

HS "A" School FAQ

Q: What kind of duty will I stand and how often will I stand duty?
You will stand duty rotations at the two local civilian hospital emergency rooms along with the TRACEN Petaluma Clinic. Frequency will occur based upon the size of your class.

Q: Is "A" school just like boot camp?
No, however, there are some similarities. You will have to march to and from class. Personnel inspections and room inspections are conducted weekly.

Q: What are the berthing arrangements like at Training Center Petaluma?
Your accommodations will be at either Horsley Hall or Steadman Hall. There are normally 3 people assigned to a room and you may be assigned a roommate from another "A" School. There are TV rooms on each deck with a large rec. deck in the main lobby.

Q: Will I have to extend my enlistment to attend school?
Maybe. You must obligate to serve 35 months on active duty from your graduation date. This period of obligated service will commence on the date of graduation from "A" school. Applicant's not having the necessary active duty obligated service requirement for "A" school remaining on their present contract, must reenlist or sign an Agreement to Extend Enlistment to cover the required period prior to departing their unit for school. Members disenrolled from Class "A" school at their own request, for lack of application, or for misconduct will be required to fulfill their full-obligated service requirement. Personnel disenrolled for academic, humanitarian, or for the good of the Coast Guard may, upon the approval of EPM-1 have their obligated service requirement rescinded or reduced to cover the period of schooling received.

Q: Will I have to pay for my meals while I attend "A" school?
All "A" school students (accompanied or single) will receive Rations-In-Kind (RIK) as a subsistence allowance while assigned to Training Center Petaluma. This means that your meals will be provided at the galley (Haley Hall). However, if you eat at the Subway, Mini-Mart, Two Rock Pizza or in town, you will have to pay for those meals. There are ATM's available on base (Sea West Federal Credit Union and Horsley Hall) if you plan to eat in places other than the galley.

Q: What is the process for choosing my new assignment?
You will be given a list of assignments to choose from. These are the assignments that the assignment officer will make for your class. Assignments are based on grades in ranking order.

Q: What is available for off time recreation and activities?
The Morale, Well-Being & Recreation (MWR) Customer Service Center provides a variety of services and activities. The following services/activities are available:

Lake Recreation Area
Recreation Rental Shop
Movie Theatre
Steadman Hall Cyber Mania
Bowling Center
Tickets for entertainment, etc.
Racquet ball Courts
Tennis Courts
Outdoor Volleyball Court
Rocks and Shoals Consolidated Club / Two Rock Pizza

Q: Should I bring my spouse and family with me to the Training Center?
Since the duration of HS A-School is more than 20 weeks, all students, accompanied or single, will receive PCS orders to TRACEN Petaluma. Dependents and HHG’s are authorized to accompany members.  There is no on-base housing available for students with dependents.  It is highly recommended you arrived early enough before your report date to find adequate living accommodations for your family. You may contact Housing for more guidance at (707) 765-7238. There are guest quarters available for family members; however, these units are small (motel type) rooms and are not adequate for long stays. There is extremely limited availability of these quarters and often difficult to get on short notice.  You are authorized 10 days TLE but you will not be allowed permissive house hunting orders, allowing you to be out of class. Make sure you contact your SPO prior to departing your unit for appropriate counseling on entitlements.

Q: Do I receive any college credits for HS "A" School?
Any college credits received in the 16 week course are reviewed and determined upon by the American College on Education (ACE). You can access their website at the following link: ACE Military Programs
Be aware though, the college you are attending can accept all or part of the recommended credits based on their guidelines. No school is mandated to accept the full amount of what ACE recommends.

Last Modified 1/12/2016