Test administration policies
Education Services Officer
Who can administer exams?
- Designated ESOs and Alternate ESOs
- Shall have a designation letter signed by their CO/OINC on file at the CG Institute.
- Shall be a Chief Petty Officer or above or a civilian grade of GS7 or above
What is a proctor?
- A proctor is designated by a command in writing, with a copy to member's personnel data record.
- Proctors may supervise members during the administration of an exam.
- Proctors shall not:
- have access to safes where tests are stored
- handle exam materials except those specifically designated by the ESO for administration
- enter scores into the online answer form
EOCT administration policies
- EOCTs are either self-paced or timed and are ALWAYS proctored.
- When a member does not pass an EOCT, they must wait 21 days before they can take the exam again per ALCOAST 586/05.
- Established policies for administration of open book EOCT examinations.
- Each EOCT has three test versions. If a member retakes as exam, the ESO shall ensure he is given the next sequential test version. Under no circumstances shall the member take the same test version twice in succession.
CG Deck Watch Officer Examination Program
- Ref: Commandant Instruction 16672.5B
- Deck Watch Officer International/Inland - Original (DWINTO)
- Initial DWO exam, course code 0701-1.
- Required for members who have not previously passed the DWO Exam, or have exceeded a period of five-years since the date of their last examination with a passing score.
- This is a closed book exam, in which no reference material is authorized.
- Deck Watch Officer International/Inland Renewal (DWINTR)
- Renewal DWO exam, course code 0702-1.
- Administered to members who have previously passed an initial DWO exam or a renewal DWO exam within the last five years. This five-year period of eligibility commences on the date the last successful examination was administered.
- Test is open book, permitting the candidate to use a like new, corrected-to-date, but otherwise unmarked copy of the Navigation Rules, International-Inland, COMDTINST M16672.2 (series) book. The book can not contain personalized tabs, indexes, or notes.
- If a member fails to successfully complete a renewal DWO exam within five years, the member must revert back to the initial DWO exam (DWINTO).
- Approved Rules of the Road Courses
- Members may take approved non-CG Rules of the Road Courses and receive credit for the CG DWO exam.
- See the USCG
Approved Rules of the Road Courses for details on approved courses.
- Courses not not on the approved list must be approved by the BM Rating Force Manager to receive credit for completion of the DWINTO.
- ESO should submit scanned copies of the certificate to the CG Institute via a TACCTS ticket for entry into Direct Access.
- Under no circumstances shall the SPO enter credit for the DWINTO into Direct Access.